ABC News (Channel)

ABC NEWS special edition: Wentworth By-Election

From 6pm AEDT on Saturday 20th October

Triggered by the resignation of Malcolm Turnbull, the October 20 by-election for the eastern Sydney seat of Wentworth is shaping up as a major electoral test for Prime Minister Scott Morrison and his Government’s grip on an outright majority in the House of Representatives.

Always considered a jewel among long-held Liberal seats, Wentworth has never been held by a non-conservative candidate, but this weekend’s poll brings a very real threat of an end to that tradition.

Mr Turnbull’s personal popularity, which built up a safe margin of 17 percent counts for nothing, as Liberal candidate Dave Sharma fends off a charge from Independent Kerryn Phelps, Labor’s Tim Murray and preferences from the field of 13 other candidates.

Join the ABC’s comprehensive live news coverage from 6PM AEST, co-hosted by national affairs correspondent Greg Jennett and NSW Political Reporter Brigid Glanville with with election analyst Antony Green. Viewers can expect Antony Green’s minute by minute assessments of the result in the 9th and probably final by-election of the current Parliament.

We’ll also have Trent Zimmerman from the coalition and Linda Burney from the Labor party to discuss the fallout of the result.

• ABC NEWS on radio will be providing comprehensive coverage, in the lead up to Saturday’s poll, on ABC radio and RN.

• On Sunday, Insiders host Barrie Cassidy will be joined by Peter van Onselen, Fran Kelly and Dennis Atkins to analyse the by-election result and what it means for the government.

ABC NEWS Wentworth coverage airs from 6pm on Saturday, 20th October on ABC NEWS and iview.

Shocking picture quality tonight.

Lorna Dunkley presenting on News 24 tonight. She’s far better than the usual presenters.

They seem to be using the ‘side on’ background loop this afternoon rather than the conventional one.

New ABC role for Stan Grant

Stan Grant will take up the new role of Indigenous and International Affairs Analyst with the ABC at the end of the year after announcing his appointment as Professor of Global Affairs at Griffith University.

Grant joins Griffith University in December, after his ABC NEWS channel program Matter of Fact finishes its run.

Said Grant: “This is a fascinating and in many respects troubling time in our world, and this is the right move at the right time for me in my career and life.

“It is great to be able to combine my academic work with an ongoing media role. I value my relationship with the ABC and, while I’m stepping away from daily presenting, I look forward to being able to continue to write and comment on international news across all ABC platforms, building on the base we have created this year with Matter of Fact .

“It’s an important conversation to keep going with the Australian public both through my work at Griffith and my appearances on the ABC.”

Gaven Morris, Director ABC NEWS, said: “Stan has made a terrific contribution to the ABC as a presenter, a writer and a key voice in our coverage of Indigenous and Asia-Pacific issues, and Matter of Fact has done a great job providing thought-provoking context and insight to world events.

“We are delighted to keep Stan as part of our team. He will have an important ongoing role with the ABC contributing across our broadcast and digital platforms.”

More information will be released on the ABC NEWS channel’s 2019 schedule in coming weeks.

Does he ever stay put at one place for a while without changing something… I feel that he been to pretty much every network (maybe an exaggeration) but it sure feels that way.

Why are they getting rid of Matter Of Fact. I actually don’t mind that show. I wish they got rid of The Drum instead!

The press release doesn’t say Matter of Fact will be axed. It may get a new host.

The Drum has been crap ever since they moved it to the NSW news set.

Special Armistice programming :dove:

Sunday 11 November 2018

10:00am Australia Remembers: Centenary Of Armistice Preview
November 11 marks the 100th Anniversary of the Armistice which ended the First World War. ABC NEWS presents special coverage across the day with commemorations from Canberra, across Australia and tonight France and England.

10:30am - 12:30pm Australia Remembers: Centenary Of Armistice Canberra Service
100 Years since the Armistice which ended the First World War, Australians observe a minute silence at 11am in memory of those who died or suffered in all wars and armed conflict. The National Memorial Service from Canberra.

1:30pm Armistice: Stories Of The Great War Rpt

5:30pm Armistice: Stories Of The Great War Rpt

8:30pm Australia Remembers: Armistice Day France Service
A global day of commemoration and reflection to mark the Centenary of the Armistice which ended the First World War, from the Australian National Memorial VillersBretonneux in France

9:30pm Australia Remembers: Centenary Of Armistice London Service
100 Years since the Armistice which ended the First World War, people around the world pause to reflect and honour those who died

11:00pm Armistice: Stories Of The Great War Rpt

All AEST. Australia Remembers: Armistice Day France Service repeated on ABC1 at 9:40pm local time

10 News First with Stan Grant

It kind of does;

Grant joins Griffith University in December, after his ABC NEWS channel program Matter of Fact finishes its run.

I suppose that could be interpreted in different ways but it seems fairly definitive.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: ABC News Presenters and Reporters

There’s a presenters thread :slightly_smiling_face:.

So does the 11pm bulletin now go for an hour, with Bev presenting it?

The 11pm hour goes until Midnight.

This error was on the screen for a few minutes.

Canberra service from 10:00-1:00pm on ABC and News 24

France service from 8:00-9:30pm on ABC and News 24

London service from 9:30-10:30pm on News 24

Repeats 1:30-2:00pm and 11:00-11:30pm on News 24

Kathryn Robinson is hosting The Drum tonight.

The channel is simulcasting ABC News Queensland tonight for the latest on the bushfires in central and southern Queensland.

EDIT: the channel is showing ABC News NT as well. As posted in ABC News content thread, it could be due to server issue in Sydney which prevents the national bulletin from going to air.