ABC News (Channel)

Right… so just a regular news bulletin

Seems that way…

The Drum replay moves to 7pm
And Patricia Karvelas will have a current affairs show at 4pm

Plus there’s the return of The Business at 9.45 and The World at 10

11/12/2018:
James McHale is filling in for Michael Tetlow on this morning’s bulletin.

and here’s an example of a late news bulletin with Beverly O’Connor after The World.

2 Likes

Quite a stark difference in the colouring of the background.

1 Like

Mornings and Afternoons having been coming from the Sydney 7PM studio for the past few days.

1 Like

Something interesting. The EPG fot this morning’s Mornings with Joe O’Brien says Celina Edmonds is filling in. However, Kath Robinson is actually presenting, not Joe or Celina.

Is the main NC set being used at all at the moment? Every time I look they’re using the NSW set.

Haven’t seen the NC set. Maybe they’re refurbishing it?

It’s due for one!

2 Likes

I hope they keep the layout the same but have a brand new newsroom backdrop and some upgraded lighting. But then this is the ABC we’re talking about, they’ll take their time.

The set has done well lasting for 8 years, but it’s time for a refresh.

Yeah. The bones are great, it just need larger screens, updated loops (and one for nighttime) and maybe a bit more versatility by bringing back the old alternative presentation spots.

2 Likes

Kathryn Robinson hosting Weekend Breakfast with Andrew Geoghegan this weekend.

2 Likes

There have been a few different camera angles used lately, a couple of examples here:

Blooper here:

6 Likes

Those look a hell of a lot better than how they normally frame shots and makes the sets look a little better, though all ABC News sets need to be replaced or a refresh at the very least.

2 Likes

The inside word from deep within the Ultimo bunker is that the news channel is now using Mosart automation and there are new cameras so they’re trying out a few new camera angles.

The cameras also have the ability to elevate as well as pan and tilt so there’s more movement now in the opening and closing shots.

So there you go… that’s why things are looking a little unusual.

8 Likes

Is this window to the side new?

It’s always had a window there, not often that lit up with sunlight like that.

I wish they would fix that lighting on the desk, it’s way too dark.

1 Like

They need to fix the entire set. Keep the layout but new lighting, backdrop, panels and maybe desk.

7 Likes

The set hasn’t served them well, but they need something new. So,thing that allows a variety of camera angles and standup presenting. Joe is one of channel’s strongest anchors and I think he in particular could make the studio his own if he was able to ditch the desk for some segments.

5 Likes

Blooper on this afternoon’s 3pm bulletin opener.