7Food Network

It’s very targetted programming as well, so I guess they’re in a slightly better position to take the plunge.

I think we’re at that stage now where we need to incentivise people to upgrade. So far only 7food network and HD are the real benefits in upgrading that 2nd or 3rd TV in the house. It’s not enough. We’re going to stay in this MPEG-2 limbo mode forever.

2 Likes

Really think World Movies and the fact that there’ll be a 24/7 FTA movie channel could be the ‘thing’ which pushes people to upgrade TVs/STBs.

5 Likes

7food Network has a part paid or majority sponsorship arrangement too doesn’t it (major reason for launch and used to partner SBS), along with package and spot buyers?

It’s definitely got a long road ahead if significant improvements be it marketing and or physically aren’t made.

Seven recently showed online (and Angus Ross’ podcast reaffirmed) it punches above its weight in key demos (considering its minimal total people performance), skewing very young female. I’d imagine it targets “grocery buyers” and would want to do better in that demo with its content slate?

NB/ It beat 9Gem in weekly share in one key demo a couple of weeks back! Which shows you how bloody old Gem skews and how poorly it usually* does in demos.

*obviously a 360 turn around there atm with CWC!

Scripps owns Food Network. They provide most of the programming, although they seem to be providing less for 7 than what they did for SBS. Could just be the appearance that they’re providing less anyway.

1 Like

Ha, I didn’t know that SBS were launching a World Movie Channel on FTA, this should be good. As for those who havent upgraded their set top boxes or better yet upgraded their TVs get to miss out. :slight_smile:

As for 7food Nework, it’s okay it’s something to have on in the background when I’m relaxing in bed, boy oh boy that channel makes me hungry though! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve noticed 7food network seems to have a lot of Seven-produced non-food content overnight compared to the previous SBS Food Network.

1 Like

Since the Scripps Food Network is failing to make a mark, maybe Seven should consider just having Aussie content.

Maybe make it 7Lifestyle so it includes All the travel shows they have too.

1 Like

Problem is, they wouldn’t want to with 9Life (surely?) Each multi-channel is very different and specifically targeted and marketed, which in itself it good. Most similar content and skew wise are probably 7Two and 9Gem, 9Go and 7flix and the two food channels?

And I take it you’re suggesting they abdodon the Scripps partnership (not sure whether there’re contracted or what sort of money they’d lose) and go another solo Seven content channel? Wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of this channel originally launching (i.e.) first sentence of this paragraph?

1 Like

Well, that one rates better than 7Food Network, so they’re onto something.

Well, obviously when the contract ends. :roll_eyes:

Well, having a channel that doesn’t rate and doesn’t turn a profit also defeats the purpose of having it at all.

Hence my point, aren’t Scripps also paying them a fee

Huh? Why would Scripps pay Seven to take their programs? Seven would be paying Scripps for the content.

I thought it was more a carrier partnership, no?

What’s a “carrier partnership”? :confused:

Seven buys content for it’s channels and charges advertisers to pay for it and hopefully make a profit. The Food Network is a package where Scripps has given them almost all the content.

SBS had it but obviously wasn’t turning a big enough profit, so they ended the contract and decided to try something else. They probably thought they could create SBS Food at a cheaper price and be more successful. We don’t know what the difference in cost to run it is, but it’s certainly rating higher so you’d assume they are charging advertsers more now.

2 Likes

9Life is the same but with HGTV content. Scripps has worked with 3 networks like this now. I wonder if they’ve ever approached Ten?

1 Like

From Foxtel community (issue arose when discussing availability of upcoming SBS World Movie Channel)

Channel Seven has advised that the 7Food channel would remain exclusive to free to air broadcast and 7Plus.

5 Likes

This line-up shows not a lot of new content at all. 80% repeats

2 Likes

You start your guide at 7:30pm, however Chopped at 6:30pm are new. 7Food are about three seasons behind so there are a ton of new episodes.

Was it more new when it was on SBS?

A new season of Hell’s Kitchen (even though was played years ago in America)

New to free to air ? Never been on free to air ?