7Food Network

Even though I really shouldn’t suggest this because it’d likely result in an even more bandwidth-starved HD channel, 7Food Network probably needs to be in MPEG2 if they want higher ratings than SBS FOOD.

And yes, I know MPEG2 v MPEG4 isn’t the only reason behind the lacklustre ratings performance of 7Food Network. But with the Seven Network brand otherwise a vastly stronger than the SBS-TV brand ratings wise, I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to say that 7Food would likely receive higher ratings than SBS Food if it was made available on more TVs!

Don’t forget SBS Food (network) is available nationwide and on VAST

7food is what Seven o&o only?

Yes that’s correct, not sure if it would really have that much of an effect on the OzTam/five city ratings though.

I don’t think it’s available on any Foxtel platform yet either.

And in 7Food’s defence (disclaimer: never got beyond 5min of watching the channel) it’s only new TV sets it can be picked up on, yes?

Since 2009 MPEG-4 .

Does anyone else have weird audio issues with 7Food Network, or is it just me?

I know 7Food Network is the only channel in NQ that uses “heaac” for audio codec, and I’ve noticed whenever watching the channel on my TV that there is this random honking noise about once per minute in amongst the normal noise.

It sounds exactly like this

I’ve never noticed this on any other channel or anything else on my TV, just this channel. It’s become something we laugh about at home whenever watching the channel, but wonder if anyone else is having this issue?

2 Likes

First I’d check your carbon monoxide detectors are working correctly and have fresh batteries.

In all seriousness, does it happen with any other television or tuner/s? Do you have dynamic audio enabled?

In Adelaide both 7Food Network and RACING.COM use he-AAC for sound but I can’t say I’ve heard of this before

3 Likes

As far as I know, the only way to watch 7Food Network in Prime and SCA areas nowadays is via Fetch TV’s add-on channels! And sadly that’s the OG Food Network…

1 Like

Be thankful.

1 Like

You can watch it on 7plus on Fetch and on the 7plus Android and Apple apps and on the 7plus website.

3 Likes

Yep, if we watch it we watch it through the Fetch 7plus app, same with 7flix.

3 Likes

Usual schedule released for wc 16th

Huh? Guy’s Grocery Games is an on-going series. Why isn’t it “awaiting return”. I’m confused by your lists, as for some channels you have an almost endless list of programs “awaiting return” but for other channels you have nothing.

The ratings are poor for this, SBS Food does a whole lot better.

2 Likes

Seven are aware. I would expect changes to come soon.

You’d have to imagine that being in MPEG4 (the other Seven Network SD channels are MPEG2, as far as I’m aware) and the lack of availability on Foxtel are the biggest issues for 7Food Network?

Because even without altering the content, I reckon there’d be a 7Flix June 2016-like jump in the ratings if 7Food Network was made “available on more TVs”.

Nah, lets stop encouraging bad behaviour by offering channels in MPEG2

11 Likes

Really? It’s been 3 years now and the whole SBS thing is telling me this is less of a problem now.

I think there isn’t enough room for two competing food channels, especially when one of them already established themselves as a food entertainment destination even before Food Network hit the scene. The lack of Foxtel integration and having a regional affiliate is more of a concern for them, I think.

6 Likes

Maybe.

But with SBS’ primetime ratings for VICELAND not really being anything to get excited about (primetime only averaged around 1% in the metro markets last year, how many of those viewers would’ve been on HD LCN-31?), it’s going to be very interesting to see what the switch to a MPEG4 HD-only channel does to the ratings.

Hmm, you could be right. Along with the two on FTA, I’d also imagine that Lifestyle Food (which has been around for 15 years or so at this point in time) would get a fairly decent audience in Foxtel homes.

Yeah, not even being available via Prime7 (surely there’s at least 4 million potential viewers in the major markets of Regional NSW/ACT and Victoria alone?) is a major issue for 7Food Network as well!