2CH Sydney

2UE should employ her… She was pretty successful at 2CH, I am not sure if her metric was the profitability of 2CH, at least it was heading in the right direction. .

Accounts in annual report show “A loss before tax contribution of $1.9 million from the operations of Radio 2CH Pty Ltd (2018: $2.3 million loss).” The station’s 2019 revenue was $2.4 million, up from $1.9 million in 2018."

Read more at: https://radioinfo.com.au/news/2ch-sale-offer-too-good-refuse-anatomy-deal © Radioinfo.com.au

2 Likes

Can’t imagine that SEN will be in a hurry to get a new GM for what’s now a digital-only station (their main priority at the moment would probably be growing the SEN brand in Sydney), so one has to wonder if 2CH is now well and truly on its death knell?

Similar could probably be said for Tim Webster, Trevor Sinclair and Chris Kearns. I thought Tim Webster was doing well to retain an audience after Bob Rogers stood down from weekday mornings, while Chris Kearns also showed promise at night. And Trevor Sinclair was just a 2CH icon (one that has been on and off the station at various points over the years, but still…)!

No doubt the last decade or so of 2CH has brought with it a lot of interesting changes - here’s at least one person who’d love to read the book one day! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I was listening to Tim Webster today. He appeared to be live during the 11am hour, he decided to adlib an ad for a Bexley Dentist instead of just reading it . I now remember the ad because of that. Just subtle thing he really engages with the listeners. I think Cherie probably gives them the latitude to do this.

In the early morning it was so refreshing to hear a time call almost felt retro. The 3 remaining guys are really good old school radio announcers. I am fan of Busco on SWR for breakfast, he is my normal go to guy for breakfast but I would not complain if the radio was on Tim Webster. Marcos Paul on 2sm also does a good job if I need a dose of opinion and news.

4 Likes

Looks after the Elvis show it is the Beatles show. Now playing the track This Boy. Not often heard on radio.

Well after 9pm they have a show called the spirit of sport. Looks like they must have religious content on Sunday night (with a sporting twist). It’s mixed with music and pre-recorded.

I just tuned into 1170 and the same show is on. Hosted by Jason Stevens ex Sharkies and St George player.

1 Like

Not sure how big of an audience there’ll be for a religious program which mixes sport and music (and I have to say it isn’t really my cup of tea either), but at least it’s something different.

…while the SEN 1170 DAB+ channel seems to be running a different program.

So they play music on Sunday nights on 1170 SEN?

A mixture. It’s quite an in-depth interview with Brad Mackay. Not too bad. Reminds me of some of the interviews Matthew Elliott did on ABC Grandstand with old players and others.

It’s an interesting SEN 1170 DAB has another show. It’s not a bad listen. Have a mix of music and talk could work. It must tick the box in respect to the church influence on 2ch. It looks like there is still some influence on 1170 frequency. I wonder why?

2 Likes

Looks like the person who came up with ‘Jesus Christ, Did You See That Tackle’ wasn’t too far off the mark after all!

4 Likes

For those too young to remember, Jason Stevens is religious and was the punchline for several weeks on the Footy Show years ago when it was revealed he was saving himself for marriage.

Would make sense if they are still required to maintain some sort of religious program on the 1170 frequency. Given the amount of religious Pacific Islanders playing league in Sydney, maybe a show could be done for them?

5 Likes

I am old enough, vaguely remember now . It looks like yes it is possible to have a sporting religious show. I suppose with all the betting that happens we tend to stereotype football players not being religious which is not true. SEN in Melbourne don’t have a religious show down there? I am fascinated the contract they have on 1170 a church may have. Will they have other religious that are non-Christian on the show too? Perhaps not. Or is it paid for by church the show so SEN make some money.

IIRC SEN 1116 doesn’t have the same contractual requirements SEN 1170 has, although you could make the argument it’s easy to syndicate a show like that with a broad appeal if done right, maybe one for SEN Track and some religious stations?

I think nothing wrong with it, better than repeating the shows. Maybe in Melbourne they have an AFL version and during the summer they can go national and have mostly cricket and Tennis players.

I like to listen to the stories of players (for me take the religion out of it) . They could have more shows like that mixed in with music. Maybe they should be able to play the sporting person’s favourite music. Although Brad Mackay liked the Angels not really a 2CH favourite. I found the interview really good (mostly).

Good to see I’m still influential in the industry :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t think I would’ve been a viewer of The Footy Show at the time but yes, I get those references!

Aside from briefly checking out things like that new Sports show, I haven’t really listened to much 2CH (despite doing all 'CH listening in recent years on DAB+ and having a few receivers at hand, it has to be said) since the August multiplex change and the move to a digital-only station for SEN.

Especially with all the news I’ve been hearing about 2CH recently with all these departures, I’ve really been put off listening to what may be a “dying station” so to speak.

1 Like

I guess I am hoping for success, so other stations will consider reviving old brands like 2sm more music, Hits and Memories 2ws or classic hits 2uw. Maybe I am dreaming haha.

2 Likes

Finally an updated website www.2ch.com.au

2 Likes

Talk about cost-cutting! They couldn’t even put (keep) their presenters on there…

4 Likes

I doubt there will be presenters for much longer. It will just become another shuffle playlist station

6 Likes

It’s literally just a page directing listeners to the online stream…which I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see (or more to the point, hear) turned off one day without warning.

Also, that updated logo looks rubbish. I get that they had to remove the bit referencing 1170AM because SEN has taken over the frequency, but a far better job could’ve been done adjusting the logo.

4 Likes