2CH Sydney

2CH are just like 3AK were 17 years old when the Sports Entertainment Network bought them out, Fun Fact: Both Stations prior to SEN Takeover were Popular Beautiful Music Stations in the 70’s & 80’s.

4 Likes

The website has “Listen to 2CH live and free!” - ummmm, when did anyone have to pay to listen to 2CH? Aside from the days of the radio/TV license…

10 Likes

So much cost cutting they couldn’t even setup the websites ip address correctly, you can view the website via http://3.26.5.190/ bit slack.

5 Likes

You are correct that 3AK was once a beautiful music station, but that is where the comparison between 2CH and 3AK ends. In January 2004 prior to SEN being launched 3AK was a train wreck. Talk 1116 3AK had a turnover of presenters like nothing that has ever been seen in the Australian radio industry.

11 Likes

They are probably having a dig at streaming services, which is a form of competition for them, which are generally not free (without ads anyway).

2 Likes

I just tune into CH. There is another announcer on I could not catch his name properly. “Nibs” (could be totally wrong). He was back announcing an eagles song (and singing it a bit too).

1 Like

Probably Nims. Full name Amin Azoor. He does a bit of everything at SEN, based in Melbourne.

4 Likes

@webguy you are 100% right. Looks like Trevor is starting later. Anyway for a station on digital radio it probably is the only one that gets the most love in terms of having people on air, in Sydney (for now anyway).

1 Like

According to Trevor’s facebook page 2CH’s last day at Pyrmont was Wednesday 11th November. Now broadcasting from SEN’s North Sydney studios.

4 Likes

Photos of the new studios:

3 Likes

Tim Webster posted in the Radio Green Room on Facebook, a couple of hours ago, that he’s just responded to a number of complaints on the feedback line, about the 2CH App not working, he was unaware of it not working, it’s also been found the CRA “The Radio App” & Tunein doesn’t work for 2CH either.
Looks like the apps were pointing to the old web servers from EON/Macquarie radio, & since moving studios & having new network connections the apps don’t work, the only way to listen to 2CH now is via the SEN App, & you have to lock it to Sydney, if you’re not in Sydney to listen.

2CH listeners are dropping off like flies due to stupidity, lack of forward planning, or intentional to kill it off?

Probably won’t last beyond Christmas, they’ll have no listeners, advertisers won’t stay & I doubt Hutcho will let SEN subsidise it & any remaining staff.

7 Likes

I’d probably say this.

At the very least, I’d be surprised if 2CH still has the remaining on-air announcers in the new year.

3 Likes

While the intention may well be to kill it off, this just a sheer lack of care and laziness in SEN’s greater online/digital strategy. You just need to look at all their websites and facebook pages to see that they have the bare basics little care is given the overall functionality and reliability of information. The 2CH website has been reduced to a single page with a streaming player. The SEN website was reduced to a mess of links to their different stations with no explanation of how they relate to one another. Even on the app, which is suprisingly good, some stations are only avaiable in certain regions and others are available to all with seemingly no reason for the difference.

8 Likes

I agree @webguy it’s just sloppy. I think in general there seems to be less attention to detail at some radio stations. I don’t think they are intentionally doing it but these types of mistakes may lead to its demise.

1 Like

how prescient

8 Likes

Looks like it is all working over the weekend. Listening to 2CH this morning. The music sounds good enough, the voice of Tim Webster is a bit harsh (not his voice. the equipment or feed they are using) , not to the same quality of Pyrmont. They are taking SEN news now.

2 Likes

You can tell the bulletins aren’t produced in Sydney when the first sports story is about AFL!

Also surprised that 2CH were allowed to keep their own News/Sport/Traffic/Weather themes, although it certainly wouldn’t overly surprise me if those are dumped in favour of the musical stings used on 1170 SEN & SENTrack (except with 2CH voiceovers, of course) before overly long.

5 Likes

Its a shame that SEN are going to have to learn the hard way that Sydney listeners have no interest whatsoever in Melbourne content. It will be interesting what they throw together in coming months, mostly rubbish I would say.

6 Likes

And that certainly applies to Melbourne too. No interest in Sydney talk or sport radio being broadcast in Melbourne. Agree SEN will learn the hard way!

2 Likes

Looks like 2CH might have moved to the new studios at 10am on Thursday morning. This is when they stopped outputting now playing data

2 Likes