2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

Or rather, those people in the Commonwealth who were watching.

2 Likes

Remind me not to watch their production of Carols by Candlelight this year when they decide not to show any of the carols

8 Likes

It’s also worth noting for those who aren’t aware that Seven and NEP are very close partners. They share the Media City studio/office complex in Redfern and work together all the time on major event coverage as well as other things.

The cynic in me says that Seven didn’t have a problem with the plans for the closing ceremony until they saw social media lighting up and starting throwing anybody but themselves under the bus.

3 Likes

Inb4 Karl slams the host broadcaster for not showing Santa’s arrival

1 Like

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/commonwealth-games/closing-ceremony-live-all-the-colour-and-news-from-the-final-night-of-the-commonwealth-games/news-story/8a2fabaeb4501f9f5acab72db37c2f3b

But it wasn’t just the closing ceremony, the opening ceremony was just average.

It’s just very disappointing, because we know we can do better. Sydney and Melbourne both had world class events in 2000 and 2006.

It’s just bloody imbarrasing.

8 Likes

Are we all looking forward to the Gold Coast Logies in July, now we’ve seen the cultural nous of the glitter strip?

1 Like

This is just one of many funny photos/comments being made (in support, just so we’re clear) of Joh.

Her career just got boosted from Friday lifestyle show host and on/off sport telecast host, to an amazing, tell it like it is, candid, raw and frank human being - former athlete, genuinely disappointed personally, for the fans, for the athletes, viewers and her network.

11 Likes

If looks could kill

6 Likes

Although I’m sure there’ll be people who’ll disagree, I personally thought the Gold Coast (a city/region not that enthusiastic when it comes to sport unlike Melbourne or even Sydney) wasn’t the right sort of place to host the Commonwealth Games anyway.

2 Likes

Yeah Back in 2010, there were two candidate cities that wanted to host the XXI Commonwealth Games - Gold Coast, Australia and Hambantota, Sri Lanka. I think they should have gone with Hambantota as Sri Lanka is a developing country.

Perhaps. But they did a great job for the actual games. The closing ceremony was clearly conceived by someone that has been doing the Rock Eisteddfod at rod laver arena in 1993

5 Likes

Wow. Wow! What was that?? And not in a good way :face_vomiting:…

Fair enough for wanting to mix up the closing ceremony format with the athletes already seated at the start (so that they could soak up and experience the whole event… apparently). But unfortunately, the execution was terrible.

If the organisers wanted to persist with the idea, then sometime into the ceremony they should have announced/introduced the athletes (whom would already be in the stadium in darkness) and at that point, flood the relevant parts of the stadium in bright lights. At which point the crowd breaks into cheering as the athletes get up and walk a lap of the stadium showing off their medals, new friends and what ever else they feel like? It is their moment after all … or at least should have been!

5 Likes

Hughesy’s opening monologue is going to have a field day! :joy:

6 Likes

Interesting thought that a developing country and a medium sizedl town by Australian population standards could host such an event. Did you know Birmingham have picked 2022 because Durban in South Africa was deemed unfit after they had been awarded the games?

4 Likes

Is this 2018’s Yasmin’s Getting Married moment? Universal Panning?

Is NEP producing that one?

1 Like

Hambantota is the home town of then Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse, and their games bid relied on financial and infrastructure investment from China. Now the country has been forced to give up assets in that particular town to the Chinese, because they pork barrelled that town into debt…

So no guarantees Sri Lanka would have been able to do any better, if anything they would have experienced the post games low that many cities experience (and which the Gold Coast has done its best to avoid).

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/article/1041438/game-of-loans-how-china-bought-hambantota

1 Like

Perhaps Nine News Brisbane can use their promo for tomorrow night to cover the closing ceremony as well as their original story.:wink:

5 Likes

I might be in the minority, but I didn’t think the Opening Ceremony was anywhere near as bad as tonight’s Closing Ceremony.

7 Likes