2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

After a great Commonwealth Games, the biggest letdown was tonight’s disaster.

Well done to Joh and Bas telling audiences it was beyond our control not to show the athletes entering the stadium

3 Likes

Opening was a bit slow in parts, but it was cohesive.

1 Like

I find it ridiculous how networks pay so much for the rights and they don’t get a say to what they show or goes to air.

NEP and the Commonwealth Games Committee are a utter joke. They should be shamed of themselves.

6 Likes

Basil and JOhanna not happy about this closing ceremony. This shouldn’t have happened and I think mr peter Beattie should apologise on this acts. It was much worse than the acts of glasgow 2014 opening ceremony

1 Like

Absolutely (and somebody from NEP too).

They shouldn’t be disgruntled with Seven tomorrow morning, THEY should be apologising - to everybody.

Cluster fuck.

4 Likes

Thanks for the background. Sounds like what we heard about Vanuatu. Sri Lanka would make a strategic naval base in the Indian Ocean.

1 Like

Joh & Bazza’s rant shown as-is on delay in WA.

I agree, if they really wanted to get the athletes into the stadium early to make things quicker and easier so be it, but they still could have done something to acknowledge them. I missed the introduction, but everyone in my house spent most of the ceremony wondering when the athletes were going to come in, not realising that they were already there.

There was barely any acknowledgement of the athletes at all - it could easily have been mistaken for just being a generic concert. And that Kiwi bloke who got the David Dixon award - that was rushed that the audience was just left wondering what had happened - no real explanation of the award or how he came to be awarded it.

They got so caught up trying to make a point about reconciliation and #metoo that they forgot about the sport.

The hightlight of the night for me was the cross to Birmingham - it was colourful and something different. And all in one continuous shot using a drone!

3 Likes
1 Like

I thought the #BRUM sequence was great, at least they chose ELO who are from there.

However I can’t help but feel they pinched the idea from somewhere…

https://www.facebook.com/ABCiview/videos/1327940787335092/

2 Likes

New school term in Qld starts Tuesday. Students have to day off today (Monday) as all of the school bus services return to their bases across the state.

As someone who enjoyed the Opening Ceremony, the Closing Ceremony was better purely because of the visceral fucking rage it has managed to illicit. Delicious.

7 Likes

I just hope the closing ceremony is not the legacy of the otherwise successful Gold Coast Commonwealth Games. I reckon GOLDOC, Jack Morton Worldwide, NEP and Channel Seven all have to cop some of the blame, in particular GOLDOC and JMW. The performers did their best to entertain the crowd.
Anyway, GOLDOC chairman Peter Beattie was on Sunrise this morning to talk about last night’s blunder:

Basil Zempilas also had his say:

As did Angus Brandt, a member of Australian Boomers which beat Canada in men’s basketball final yesterday afternoon:

2 Likes

With Peter Beattie now appointed as Chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission, you would hope he doesn’t forget to include the players in the NRL Grand Final in October. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Can we blame him for the refereeing too?

3 Likes

It was bad from the get go, but like many and as per Opening Ceremony, was willing to stay around a bit and give it a go.

But sadly I was wrong, horribly horribly wrong!

IMO it went downhill quickly when Captain Birmingham started her self-indulgent, jingoistic speech. And then that video and rap, and then another video. Holy Lord :persevere:

Other big, big stuff-ups included not knowing when to have a single period to do ALL speeches, having them done on/off like it was, pathetic. The prolonged monalogue from the kid was bad, albeit well intended.

And that passing of whatever it was, from official to official, was out of timing, just didn’t work. And the Mel Brooks look-alike was cringe-worthy. Nobody helped him and struggled speaking, as did Roach singing.

Anthony Callea was a highlight, as was Bolt jumping up with him, also the Prince.

The near final Xanadu performance was pointless, clearly a Seven planted performance for Olivia telemovie.

4 Likes

Peter Beattie was on before that and I think his speech was way longer and self-indulgent. Don’t know for sure because I fast forwarded through most of it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There were too many speeches. Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk was not allowed to speak at the opening ceremony so last night it was her chance. But did we need to hear from the mayors of Gold Coast and Birmingham as well as heads of Commonwealth Games of Australia and England too? Hasn’t the organisers learned from the Olympic Games?

I don’t think Seven had any input on the songlist. At least we got to see Maggie McKenna (daughter of Gina Riley) performing to a wide audience for the first time!

1 Like