Zumbo’s Just Desserts

As much as I like Zumbo, he always comes across as very reserved so it will be interesting to see how he handles hosting duties.

Agree. If they didn’t have confidence in the show they wouldn’t be showing it 3 nights a week. They obviously have some faith in it to sufficiently fill a gap in the schedule. Also isn’t it refreshing that a show like this doesn’t go on for months on end and is short and sweet? It makes it more appealing to me anyway. At least Seven have a bit of variety in their programming for the end part of the year where in comparison 9 are pretty much relying on just 1 show to pull them through (The Block).

2 Likes

They have confidence in Mark Ferguson and show him five nights a week…doesn’t guarantee it’ll work.

8 Likes

This show looks more similar to MasterChef than MKR…

Like the whole walking up to the judges, in front of all the others… The tasing… Critique… Bottom ones go into a ‘test’ (elimination) AKA “pressure test” :wink:

I would say that the format is closer to the Great Australian Bakeoff than either Masterchef or MKR. Given it’s desserts and someone is eliminated every episode.

2 Likes

But Chris, don’t you know that Masterchef is the inspiration and template for every other cooking show that ever was or will be?

3 Likes

When does Willy Wonka appear?

2 Likes

Watching …and it’s quite dull :sleeping: they’re lucky the desserts look yummy.

1 Like

Hate to be critical but it’s boring. Very flat.

And where are the usual over the top controversial contestants seven!

Zumbo would happy. Great profile booster, nobody in my household ever heard of him until this.

Solid episode, lots of dramatic effects. The set looks like the same space used by My Kitchen Rules.
For those who live in Sydney, does anyone know the old building used as the facade for the dessert factory is located? I reckon it’s somewhere in the city’s north west.

Not that Twitter is a gauge but a very underwhelming presence on twitter. I would have expected it to trend considering it is the first episode. It is even being promoted but still I didn’t see it trend.

It’s like a cheap rip off of The Great British Bake Off with a Charlie & the Chocolate Factory musical score. Willy Wonka needs to drop by because, as suspected, Zumbo lacks personality.

3 Likes

The general public are probably sick of being force fed ads for this show during every Olympics ad break for the past 2 weeks. Tomorrow’s ratings will be interesting.

2 Likes

Tuesday will also be interesting to see how many come back for seconds. The lead out to this will probably also do well with people falling asleep watching this being counted as watching the next program :grinning:

It was amusing when this appeared during a commercial, Matt Preston in an ad for News Corp’s Stellar.

1 Like

Watched 15 mins. Felt like I was in an alternative universe - and not in a good way. Some light and fresh air to this show would have been nice, feels like being stuck in a dungeon.

It is the Walka Water Works in Maitland.

2 Likes

it’s less than 1km from my place… a historic water works that has been transformed into what has to be 2016’s Worst New Show… Daryl Somers would surely be relieved now :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The snippets I saw did feel a little dull. Very lifeless and wasn’t as fun as it looked in the commercials. I still think it will pull 1million+ though

1 Like

I didn’t watch the whole show just flicked over to it in the breaks of Survivor and it seemed pretty dull… the 2 hosts are awful. Zumbo isn’t made for TV, he was a decent guest on other cooking shows but he isn’t the headline act. Same with the co-host (sorry not sure of her name) it just felt very scripted and forced.

1 Like