Zumbo’s Just Desserts

This is how it work - it is very similar to MasterChef in a lot of elements but instead of a cloche, it’s a “dessert dome”.

In every episode, Zumbo will set a Sweet Sensations Task. Cooking to Zumbo’s special brief and theme, they’ll have to create a dessert using their imagination.

The two dessert makers with the weakest creations must then compete in the Zumbo Test.

Zumbo will unveil a never seen before creation from underneath the Dessert Dome, which the bottom two contestants must replicate.

The lowest scoring contestant will be eliminated. It’s a baptism of fire with someone sent home every episode.

At least it is a quick show. I will assume it will air a maximum of 2 nights a week.

Most of MasterChef’s success is owing to the personalities of Gary, George and Matt. Zumbo just doesn’t have the personality to carry his own show.

1 Like

But he’s not on his own. He has Rachel Khoo and Gigi Falanga co-presenting/judging.

1 Like

This show looks terrible. The set looks like a children’s show. Premise is weak at best. And the promos are enough to turn anyone off

1 Like

Yet it will probably rate through the roof.

Now revealed as running Mon-Wed (at least next week).

Agree.

I think Seven’s ridiculous level of promotion for this $2 programme is reaching the stage of people simply not watching and hoping it flops. Well, at least I am.

Wonder if we will see any Live Lighter ads.

There was has been a phenomenon recently where foodies were making some ridiculously unhealthy creations, usually with Nutella - I think that’s where the whole “desserts” premise came from. You can look up “Tasty” on Facebook and see these videos where they put whole sticks of butter and cans of sweetened condensed milk into their creations.

I think people would be interested in watching, even if these desserts are obviously unhealthy, as long as you make it look as artificial and Willy Wonka-esque as possible. I guess it would mean editing out some of the ugly bits of the cooking like dumping bricks of butter into a mixing bowl.

Here is an example of how not to do a dessert show:

It was mentioned elsewhere on this forum that this show has ten episodes for the first season. If it shows three episodes a week it will be over by mid September, paving the way for the new season of The X Factor.
Gigi Falanga featured in the Sunday Life magazine on The Sunday Age and The Sun-Herald yesterday.

Shows a lot of confidence by 7 burning off 3 episodes in a week when there’s supposedly only 10 that have been filmed, even they know it’s shit :joy:

3 Likes

I’ll certainly give the first ep a go (especially seeing as I love the dessert challenges on MC) :slight_smile:

But if MasterChef S1 (2009) is anything to go by…

‘Hosts’… DO… NOT… WORK.

(i.e.) Rachel Khoo

(e.g.) Sarah Wilson :disappointed:

She’s mentioned as a host/judge alongside Zumbo in the press release. Probably the same kind of role as Pete and Manu have in MKR, as opposed to Sarah whatsherface from Shark Tank, and whoever hosted Season One of Masterchef

As an aside, you’re coming a bit close to maxing out your allocation of brackets, CAPS, and punctuation Luke. (e.g. knock it off)

2 Likes

If that is the case of someone going home every episode it wouldn’t surprise me if this show only goes for about a month. Probably just filler until they are ready for X Factor. I reckon though it will still rate better than Survivor.

Australia’s most celebrated patissier Adriano Zumbo will put the country’s most passionate dessert makers to the test on ZUMBO’S JUST DESSERTS.

Joining him on this tantalising trip will be acclaimed British chef Rachel Khoo. Under their watchful eye, 12 contestants will put their sweet making skills to the test until the ultimate dessert king or queen is crowned.

Their journey begins at the candy-coloured Dessert Factory, where they must make some magic.

In every episode, Zumbo will set a Sweet Sensations Task. Cooking to Zumbo’s special brief and theme, they’ll have to create a dessert using their imagination.

Top pastry chef Gigi Falanga is Zumbo’s assistant on the factory floor, helping the dessert makers keep to time after they power up their dessert stations. There’ll be plenty of thrills and spills as they battle the factory clock and their nerves to finish on time.

Judges Zumbo and Khoo will taste and critique all their creations. The two dessert makers with the weakest creations must then compete in the Zumbo Test.

Known as the Patissier of Pain, Zumbo will unveil a fantastical and challenging never before seen creation from underneath the Dessert Dome, which the bottom two contestants must replicate.

Zumbo and Khoo will score the dishes out of 10. The lowest scoring contestant will be eliminated. It’s a baptism of fire with someone sent home every episode.

The winner of the competition will not only take home $100,000 in prize money but they’ll also have one of their creations in Zumbo’s stores.

They’ll bake. They’ll create. But only one will rise. Who will be Australia’s best?

ZUMBO’S JUST DESSERTS is an original Seven concept from the makers of My Kitchen Rules.

2 Likes

This means nothing given the balls up that happened with Restaurant Revolution, by the looks of it this will be headed the same way.

Are you saying that you think this will flop like Restaurant Revolution? I actually think this show will do OK. It’s not going to go on too long and sounds pretty fast paced, plus the commercials are quite fun. For me it has a lot more appeal to me than RR ever did.

So it “Bake Off” style except more than 1 ep a week.

I will give it a go… even just to see how that damn dessert floats.

1 Like

Seems like they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. People would have been whinging if Seven had nothing to show until X Factor started and now people are whinging about them showing too many episodes per week.

I would have thought this was a better option than what they did before the Olympics where we had a few weeks of rubbish filler programs.

2 Likes