In new releases, too ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

In preparation of a second season on Seven with Rachel Khoo. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I saw that too. Seemed random

My thoughts exactly.

Yes, when they saw The Wall and Instant Hotel all doing worse :wink:

Just not as bad as FFF.

AFR is reporting the success of the show on Netflix has led Seven to sign a co-production deal with the streaming service to produce a second season. The new series will premiere on Seven before Netflix releases it to their international territories.

1 Like

I had a feeling they might do a second season of Just Desserts.

Looks like the call for auditions a few weeks ago for a dessert based show were for a second season of Just Desserts.

Netflix success warrants a second season, even though more than two years have passed. Interesting how Netflix can influence the return of a show now.

1 Like
3 Likes

Very surprising and interesting indeed. I could see it airing over summer on Seven alongside cricket.

Interesting indeed. Surely 7 won’t air it in a primetime slot again though in the ratings period. It might fair better once a week on weekends as a lead in to the news or I guess it could air over summer.

Given that Netflix bulk releases each show, would 7 be forced by Netflix to release the show in it’s entirety on one date?

No, seven will have first run premiere and it will stream on Netflix following that!

2 Likes

Not all shows are bulk released A show like Riverdale for example has each episode released on Netflix once a week, the day after it airs on The CW in the US.

2 Likes

So they’ve been able to gather viewership data from Netflix and it’s also a two year old show now, which to be fair, did much, much better than what many of Seven’s Q3 shows are doing lately (launched after Rio 2016).

I have a little cousin who has been enjoying watching it on Netflix, that was the first I knew of it being available there.

Quite surprising the show is revived. Will a co-production deal with Netflix mean the latter will provide some funding and/or creative input into the show?

1 Like

Netflix must be paying Seven a sizeable sum for the rights to broadcast it in internationally territories. That additional level of investment must have made it viable for Seven to make an air more of the series, despite mediocre ratings in season 1.

1 Like

I am one of those who never watched a minute of it on FTA when it aired but watched it in full on Netflix last year and have been sad that a second season was never commissioned. It is interesting new territory for consuming shows - and to be honest, with commercial breaks I would never bother on a show like this.

1 Like

Wow @ryan1890 was completely wrong about this one :wink:

3 Likes

Yes happy to admit that. I don’t think it was a wild guess though, on balance the odds were not in its favour to return.

This is not that different to when The Block was axed the first time around due to lagging ratings. Nine brought it back a few years later with some tweaks and became bigger than it was originally.

Also, My Kitchen Rules had a couple of mediocre seasons with average ratings. After a tweak, it became massive. Maybe Seven can do the same with just Desserts and Instant Hotel to boost the second half of the year.

Possibly but I don’t think The Block or MKR were ever rating as low as Just Desserts and Instant Hotel. The latter two have more hurdles to overcome but yes, it can be done and they made it to season two so who knows.

2 Likes