WIN News

Maybe a rebrand? It is WIN after all

3 Likes

When considering NNSW, remember that WIN legally have to produce local content for the area from Friday (when all their broadcast agreements with SCA end). So even if they are considering setting up more comprehensive bulletins in the future, they have to produce noodle updates until those are ready to launch.

5 Likes

Another viewer making a similar comment recently on WIN News Tasmania’s page:
IMG_0974|400x400

Surprised they bothered replying knowing full well the stain will be present for the foreseeable future. :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

…who takes charge of the logo…

and will delete your question. (There is no problem. :neutral_face:)

2 Likes

With all of the talk of WIN taking over noodle updates remaining in NNSW, what have they been doing with areas that have no local bulletin?

I know that Mackay has “weather updates”, but what about Griffith, Mildura, SA and WA?

SA is meant to still be getting 2 minute updates but WIN didn’t have to do the legwork to gather stories for those so they didn’t have to do much. There’s no local news requirement so they’re not obliged to deliver this

SA and WA news both largely went when Channel 9 in the two capital cities were both sold to NEC

I think Griffith still has the Riverina bulletin and updates, assuming nothing has changed since 2006:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s1748437.htm

1 Like

As far as I know, Mackay and now NNSW are the only areas with noodle updates. WA and Griffith never got them after their bulletins were axed.Pretty sure SA doesn’t get them anymore.

Would be nice to see at least weather updates in WA. Can’t be that hard to produce them from The Gong?

2 Likes

After the axing of the Mackay bulletin, the market continued to receive full 3-4 minute “weather updates” with Hannah McEwan (the exact same as when the bulletin was shown), but these only lasted for around 6 months.

Since the weather updates were cancelled, the Mackay market receives absolutely no updates at all from WIN, it’s a complete relay of Ten Brisbane, just with local ads and the hideous WIN logomark.

WIN Mackay receives all updates shown on Ten Brisbane as is, including the Brisbane 7-day outlook weather updates that air during the evening, all shown in full.
It’s truly bizarre!

6 Likes

Any WIN News updates on NRN yet?

3 Likes

Just saw one at 5.20pm, with Kate Fotheringham.

Complete with WIN News newsbreak opener with the 2006-2008 “Cool Hand Luke” theme music.
Which I thought is ironic since NBN are the ones that really should be using it!

14 Likes

I recorded WINs “All Australian News” this morning. Some observations from a WIN newbie:

• The “All Australian News” logo in the bottom right corner looked HD. Everything else, including supers and studio footage, is very SD looking

• The intros from presenter Amy Duggan are VERY short, often only 1 or 2 sentences.

• The subtitles are the SMALLEST I’ve seen.

As a news viewer, I didn’t mind watching it, partly from it being a bit of a novelty, its interesting to see what the presenters are like across the network.

6 Likes

How long are the updates?

I think I saw 3 of them last night…

I would say between 30 seconds to 90 seconds (I didn’t really time them).

3 Likes

This is amusing:

IMG_0982

Despite this person directing their comment at the wrong channel, they do have a point about the terrible pronunciation of local areas. I’ve heard so many in recent weeks. I guess this happens when they aren’t done locally and the presenters are unsure of the correct pronunciations. :wink:

8 Likes

OTT, but are the TDT updates not done in Tasmania?

And how else can one pronounce Bridgewater as anything but "Bridge-water " ? :thinking:

Even NBN’s Ray Dinneen has been caught out by incorrect pronunications before.
He once referred to Lake Cathie (near Port Macquarie - the second word pronounced as “Cat - tie”) as that of a girls name.

Easy one to make, but shows that all regional newsreaders should be learning town pronunciations.
There’s nothing more that ticks off a regional viewer than an out of towner reading THEIR local news and getting their town pronunciations wrong.

2 Likes

Nope, they’re the same as the old SC10 noodle news ones.

3 Likes

If they don’t want people complaining about Nine, they should change their branding…

11 Likes

Never have been. Like the rest of the former SC10/SCA9 “2 Minute Noodles” they are done from Canberra last I checked.

I’m not sure how Chester mispronounced Bridgewater as I didn’t see it. But you would’ve thought it was one of the easiest ones to get right!! :yum:

Believe it or not but one I still frequently hear most mainlanders get their tongues twisted on is “Launceston”. Most pronounce it as “Lawn-ces-ton” instead of “Lon-ces-ton” - Chester gets it right 50% of the time which is quite odd in itself. :roll_eyes:

Others I’ve heard incorrectly pronounced lately are “Liawenee” pronounced correctly as “Lye-a-ween-ee”, “Strahan” pronounced “Strorn”, “Bellerive” pronounced “Bell-rive” not “Bell-a-rive” and “Breadalbane” as “Bre-dole-bin” amongst others.

2 Likes

I’ve heard him do pretty well with Launnie. I have heard on Today once I think it was, Strahan as read - Stra-han. I do remember Hey Hey though having real trouble with Dynnyrne (pronounced - Din-urn heard as Din-a-rinee)

1 Like