WIN News

that is what Iam saying, no one was happy that NNL was shut down, NINE tried to get WIN to take on the NNL staff but WIN said no and shutdown other newsrooms and moved staff around to start up the state wide stuff. NINE (at that stage) had 26 cameras in regional areas that they could call on at any stage to provide content for each state metro news and Today and ACA, 7 have the same resources now, but don’t utilise it like 9 did, and I’ve been told WIN are very reluctant to help 9 with resources quite frequently.

2 Likes

I remembered feeling very very upset the day the nine news local shut down when the nine network was switched from SCA to WIN. I thought to myself that’s a huge waste of resources. I asked myself the question why would 9 and SCA pour huge resources in extra local news services only to see it all gone in one hit. I still remember that day

Had nine news local from SCA still existed to this day there was a fair chance it could have ended up on 9 now had SCA still stayed with nine.

1 Like

and that sounds like the old WIN we know and… love? (hate)

3 Likes
5 Likes

From 7News in Regional Queensland to WIN News this Year.

How can you when being squeezed by affiliation fees? Not an extra dollar will be spent.

2 Likes

And Nine Regional NSW before then I believe.

1 Like

Squeezed by affiliation fees? have they gone up since the agreement. started or are they still at what WIN agreed to to get them back, It was THEIR choice to enter into the affiliation agreement. I think they knew what they were getting into and WIN newsrooms are very quick to ask 9 for vision.

WIN News Canberra has been roughly the same output for 34 years - so that’s one ‘success’ story. CTC News suffered due to 10 affiliation, no question. No regional 10 affiliates retained local news. Not even Adelaide, Brisbane or Perth can sustain a locally produced bulletin these days.

When Prime7 experimented with Canberra local news in the 90s - they were competing against CTC and WIN local news the whole time. Different story today and live/event TV is the only way networks can attract viewers.

Local news has survived where it’s placed on one of the top two networks. What we have seen is that by ownership happenstance Tasmania local news found a home on 7, NNSW and Darwin on 9 and it’s more-or-less sustainable.

I don’t believe that Canberrans have an aversion to local news, ABC-3 news rates comparatively well. I would have thought a well produced 6pmmer on 7 or 9 for Canberra would rate better than Sydney news.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to the ratings for WIN-9-Tas (or whatever we call it now) when the new bulletin starts. Currently they have NO programmes in the top 20 for Tas, which must be the business case. If they show a significant improvement, this could be a case for other markets to experiment. My money would be for 9 to try a Darwin-style bulletin for Canberra, live from Sydney, should Tas work. Low set-up and cancellation costs.

2 Likes

People are asking for more money, no chance of it happening

Don’t forget with the Australian Open starting tomorrow ,Win News will be on 9 Go at 5.30 pm starting tomorrow

1 Like

WIN News SD

3 Likes

So no more standing out side Maroochydore court? That will be a relief for viewers.

the green screen is getting old. I wish they would change , to ANYTHING else

1 Like

When you are the red haired stepchild of commercial TV nothing is off limits

1 Like

Seeing that Nine had made little changes if any to the graphics of Nine news, I very much doubt that WIN will be making any changes anytime soon. But we never know. Time will tell and that’s a matter for WIN

1 Like

Win are seriously asleep at the wheel. A big breaking story in their backyard this afternoon, a young kid struck by lighting on a Woolongong beach, causing him to go into cardic arrest. In classic Win fashion, this doesn’t rate a mention on their self-described “your local” news service. Nothing on their social media either. But hey, I’m sure glad I got to watch a story from regional Victoria about la Nina. 9 and 7 ended up running a story on it, relying on non-Win resources.

1 Like

Are Wollongong down to one journalist now, or do they still have a few left? I recall Canberra and Wollongong were spared the bare basic one journo structure of most of their remaining news markets as a result of returning to Nine affiliation in July 2021.

They should’ve killed off WIN News and rolled it into Nine News Regional when the affiliation swap happened. Even the statewide bulletins they had by the end were better quality than what WIN are pumping out now.

Edit: Making clear this is not a dig at the dedicated journos, tech, producers and others who do their best with the funding and resources they have access to.

3 Likes

I’m hoping that the launch of Nine News Tasmania will give Nine greater control over WINs other bulletins too. Something needs to change.

On that note, do we have any other word about Tasmania yet?

5 Likes