WIN News

I hope it’s a sign Nine correctly see that local news is one of the few things that the ‘old’ media will have an advantage with.

When we’re in an all streaming future, the only reason for you to connect with ‘Nine’ is their fairly unique product of news relevant to your area - the biggest shows are probably on the global streaming services. The internet means that being on ‘Channel 9’ means nothing to audiences.

7+ gives you far more regions of local news product than 9Now does - and Nine need to fix that before people don’t know to try. I don’t think WIN’s product is good enough at this point that even if Nine could add it to their streaming services they wouldn’t - so perhaps going to an arrangement closer to the SCA deal where at least Nine can quality control their brand and product.

2 Likes

Nine produced a whole suite of regional bulletins for SCA and based whole news teams in SCA offices

I had always assumed that the main reason for switching back to WIN is because Nine hated producing local news and wanted to stop doing it

1 Like

Is it?

Yep. I’d imagine Nine would prefer having SCA style statewide bulletins (with or without windows) than persisting with WIN’s out of date model.

Me too. The Tasmania announcement says otherwise.

Then why is nine starting again with a Tasmania bulletin when nine doesn’t own a station there?

Sorry, I meant WIN News is scheduled for next week. Made a mistake.

This. NBN News, Nine News Darwin and Nine News Tasmania need to be added onto 9Now, as well as maybe WIN. ABC doesn’t exclude the ACT, NT and TAS bulletin on Iview for example, and 7NEWS has all bulletins, metro and regional, on 7+. You can’t say much about 10 and SBS but they do have all their bulletins on 10play and SBS On-Demand.

I’d assumed Nine were just in a better position to be able to wind their service down, absorb staff into their other services, or otherwise had structured contracts knowing they had a 5 year deal with the possibility of not extending.

WIN on the other hand have had a very long term news production business, so would have staff on all sorts of deals - which would be more costly to unwind. I’d expect most if not all of WIN’s current reporters in Tasmania shuffle over to Nine’s bulletin.

Because Tasmania is the exception, rather than the rule, with traditionally a strong local news presence

it’s a gamble to try and take market share away from seven, nothing else

I don’t see that this will be replicated in other areas, unless Seven (formally Prime) were to try something in Canberra/elsewhere first and then Nine were to try and compete

1 Like

Olivia Grace Curran from NBN News told me a few months ago that Nine is working on it.

1 Like

It’s really not that hard.

No excuse for Nine to not run regional streams for O&O stations on 9Now either. They run through NPC anyway.

1 Like

But WIN may not want to take part in that. I remember WIN complaining about loss of business in regional areas in relation to streaming so I’m under an impression that WIN is still against streaming nowadays.

1 Like

It’s Official, Win News for Regional Queensland, Southern New South Wales and Canberra, Regional Victoria and Tasmania Begins Tonight at 5:30PM.

That was more in reference to O&O stations (NBN and NTD) - not so much WIN.

1 Like

What do you mean? Or do you mean they just return tonight?

The bulletins return tonight. I expect it to be moved to 9Go! next week just like last year (and the year before with NNL)

“It’s official” lmao what? You’re writing this like it’s the first WIN 5:30pm bulletin, they’re just returning I assume

4 Likes

not at all, i have multiple friends based at 9 Sydney at the time and they all said the NEWSroom was very disappointed in the regional news stopping, now the direct competition has what 9 once had and that is regional resources, its just that 7 haven’t really utilised it as yet, 9 regional did crosses for ACA and Today all the time, 7 haven’t really done that.

WIN is against being modern. But they have to change, they wanted the affiliation with 9 again afterall.

I’m sure that people in the newsroom are quite upset at the loss of work and jobs, although I’m not certain that’s the view of the higher executive

When I was at SCA and people lost their jobs I don’t think anyone in our offices were very happy about it

1 Like