WIN News

Nine has said it will launch sometime in early 2023. And in response to Nine’s control on WIN news, that’s not the responsibility of Nine, that’s a matter for WIN.

I know it’s currently not a responsibility for Nine, but what I’m saying is, because Nine are taking over operations of the Tasmanian bulletin, it wouldn’t surprise me if Nine slowly take a bit more control of the existing WIN bulletins.

1 Like

By reinstating the once defunct news studios of nine news local from SCA? I can’t see that happening. If they did I’d be extremely very surprised and very puzzled.

Huh? Nine owned the studios. WIN already have the newsrooms. If anything Nine will need to hire more journalists and cameramen for each location and some new newsreaders. Shades of the Nine/SCA days.

WIN could mothball their Wollongong studios or WIN studio crew become employees of Nine. Things can happen.

1 Like

They can’t, and they won’t let Nine run the newsrooms in Wollongong. If Nine wanted to reinstate the studios left over by SCA, why didn’t WIN and Nine come to an agreement in the 1st place? Had an agreement been made in 2021 they could have made sure that Nine News Local could have continued albeit with a different owner, But it’s too late.

Once the studios left over by SCA is shut down they can’t be reinstated.

The studios were pre existing and are still be used by Nine if my memory is right. and will probably continue to be used into the future. It’s a better option if WIN discontinue their news and hand it over to Nine. I believe it will happen eventually. They seem to be incapable of keeping up with times. Having presentation done out of Wollongong is a stupid decision and does them no favours as recent news stories cannot be covered due to deadlines. It’s much cheaper then it ever has been to buy studio equipment to improve the product but WIN would prefer the money go to their executives pockets. Investing and fixing their news could actually improve their profits not cost them more. But the product has to be good like 7’s QLD news.

1 Like

So you are saying that nine wanted to continue with the nine news local bulletins in regional Queensland, regional Victoria and southern NSW / ACT but WIN said no at the time when the changeover from SCA to WIN occurred? If that’s the case WIN shot itself in the foot.

What’s the point of Nine handing WIN the right to air Nine network programs if WIN can’t air a good quality local news bulletin like nine news local? I very strongly feel that not only SCA were dubbed but the viewers in those areas mentioned above were dubbed as well,

GTV’s regional set is used as a space for live crosses.

Sure but it could still use it for the news if they want to. They don’t have live crosses 24/7

My brain hurts. So you’re saying what’s happening in Tasmania is just a myth even though it’s been confirmed by Nine themselves.

1 Like

I’m referring to the regional Queensland, regional Victoria and southern NSW / ACT markets only

Companies can always change their minds, especially if pride - of which we know, WIN has in spades - gives way to reality (especially the reality of accepting what Nine asked them to pay).

No, WIN wouldn’t let them use their Wollongong base, but I don’t think anyone’s suggesting that. Nor is there the suggestion that any such a takeover would be immediate, or not require investment by Nine. (But Nine would claw that back a little if better ratings and revenue means a higher affiliation fee in absolute terms…)

Let’s see how the Tasmanian setup goes before deciding whether it may be a smart idea for WIN to do it elsewhere.

WIN News now has a TikTok account https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8DnQPSP/

Lmao given how old school WIN is with their bulletins, I would’ve thought they’d upload their entire bulletins in 16:9 format to TikTok.

9 Likes

Oh dear. It’s like a daggy uncle who tries to be cool and hip.

i swear, this screams that they used a template

4 Likes

Honesty, good on them! Might reach a newer and broader audience. Only recently discussions on here was about how “stuck in the 90s they were”, honestly this is a plus!

9 Likes

They probably should work on fixing their content and appearance first; that is what is stuck in the 90’s.

5 Likes

The beauty of opinions, I agree with that too however what a great way for viewers to interact and comment.

Would WIN resent that like the last time they did resulting in the handover of the programs from WIN to SCA like the last time in 2016?