WIN News

The commercial arrangement with the local print media ended a few years back.

1 Like

WIN News will be on break next week. Basically the afternoon schedule next week:

03:00 pm Tipping Point
04:00 pm Nineā€™s Afternoon News
05:00 pm Millionaire Hot Seat
06:00 pm Nine News

Tonight was Adam Straneyā€™s last night. He will not be returning in 2023 and moving to the Sunshine Coast.

2 Likes

Did they acknowledge Adamā€™s departure on air?

Yes they did at the end of the bulletin. Unfortunately though, there was no tribute like Chris Polzot at least in Bendigo, with christmas lights shown instead.

At least he got a send off

So when do we see the Premiere of 9News Tasmania when it Launches in 2023?

The highlights reel would have been a hoot.

Brent Costelloe said a couple of hours ago on Facebook that heā€™s off for a month and theyā€™re all still calling it WIN News. Iā€™d expect something around the start of the ratings but Iā€™d love to hear more about what and what etcā€¦

1 Like

Surprised there has been nothing announced yet. Itā€™s (less than? ) a month away from launch?

1 Like

What do people think the new Nine News Tasmania could look like when it launches in 2023, with presenters, sets, etc. Here are my ideas:

PRESENTERS: Someone will be poached from Seven Tasmania, ABC Tasmania, or both to host the new Nine News Tasmania bulletin. I was thinking Louise Houbaer (weekend presenter of Seven Tasmania News) to present Monday-Friday while Alexandra Alvaro presents weekends. Brent Costelloe presents M-F sport while Bailey Kenzie presents Sat-Sun. Someone (not sure) presents weather M-F with Alexandra presenting weather from the desk Sat-Sun.

SET: The set has a clone of the current Nine desk, but like the NBN one with no build in computer and a lightbox on the front. Also I feel like it could have similar screens to NBN/Studio D at TCN as it will be very cheap. Unlike NBN, it would most likely not have the thing where one presenter is pushed to the side as I feel like it will have a single presenter. As for the backdrop, a Live shot of Hobart would do the trick.

REPORTERS: The current pones would be retained, but some new ones would be hires especially in Burnie and Launceston. Based on other states, there would be a politics reporter, court reporter, sport reporter, and the rest would be general reporters.

What do you think?

1 Like

Iā€™m predicting a Seven Tasmania-esque level of reporters/bulletin.

WIN News will be returning from its two-week break on January 9 at 5:30pm. It also includes Tasmania (not surprising as he have not heard anything about Nine News Tasmania, could someone give us some more details)

By the time that 9 news Tasmania is launching I wonder if the graphics of WIN News would be refreshed or upgraded or left intact? Time will tell.

2 Likes

In our dreams maybe.

1 Like

Given that Nine is in the business of taking over regional news productions these days, Iā€™d say itā€™s never been less likely than now for a WIN News refresh. If Nine News Tasmania is successful, I would expect other regions to follow.

3 Likes

Doubtful. Another 5 years I would say even NBN News will be gone. Nine will only produce state bulletins and possibly Northern Territory including for when Imparja fails and Nine by default takes that service over. I very much doubt there will ever be a local bulletin in the ACT, even on the ABC by then either. WIN will be long gone and dusted.

1 Like

But nine together with SCA tried to set up news bulletins in regional Queensland, southern NSW / ACT and regional Victoria. Look how it turned out, those bulletins were reduced to half an hour and then axed altogether. Could history repeat itself over and over again?

2 Likes

TBH the only region I think will get a bulletin after Tasmania is Canberra. Just like ABC where the whole state shares a bulletin.

I wonder when Nine News Tasmania will launch? It is currently scheduled for next week, does @TV-QLD have any more info?

If history is any guide the new bulletin would probably commence in early February or a little thereafter. After all late January or early February is the start of the new TV year

I donā€™t see it working in Canberra

Local news in Canberra gets talked about constantly over and over again on this forum.

People have tried it and suggested it many times in the past, but in the end, local news in Canberra only ever seems to get scaled back or axed outright.

1 Like