WIN News

The former Bulldogs coach is a local boy who played for the Dragons.

Can’t have the weather presenter at Wollongong Harbour when he also churns out weather reports for WIN’s bulletins outside the south coast.

They seldom do “look live” crosses to reporters on location. They sometimes cross to a reporter in the WIN newsroom or parking lot.

Even though it’s WIN’s home market, the bulletin is padded out with reports from outside the area. They seldom use locality names in supers, such as when they do interviews at schools about education issues, to con the viewer into thinking the report is “local”. The same NAPLAN report last week would’ve gone out across multiple markets.

You only have to Google the names of the reporters to see where they are based and where the reports are done.

2 Likes

Thanks that explains a bit.

I just feel there’s nothing which screams “we’re local from Mt Saint Thomas” in the entire bulletin. I’ve read here that the bulletin isn’t even live anymore?

Little touches like an intro “From our Wollongong studios this is WIN News”, more crosses and crosses from WIN Stadium when there’s a Saints game would make viewers think they’re still relevant?

Yes TV is dying as a medium and TV local news will probably disappear eventually but Prime7 proves there’s still life there if there’s effort.

5 Likes

exactly right, Prime do live crosses every night into yes a pre recorded bulletin, sometimes 2 a night. WIN has chosen a production way which limits any potential for doing anything other than tape packages and vision over reader voice over. VERY boring, very safe. They havent taken a risk for years. Once was a proud regional news provider, not just a bit of a joke. Even their own sales staff don’t push their local news. Im sure the 9 brand are embarrassed about it as well. the only highlight is that they produce in HD and thats a major downfall of PRIME.

2 Likes

Been doing it for years, even back in the Ballarat days.

1 Like

His off-camera glances have gotten worse since he moved to Wollongong. I think he thinks it makes his presentation style look sophisticated or something. If he did it occasionally and didn’t try and get a full sentence out before looking into the camera then it would be fine

6 Likes

When I watch the bulletin it makes me think he’s watching a monitor for his cue to start talking, but he’s missed it. But the thing is he does it nearly every item, not only that but he looks away at the end of items too.

But if he was hypothetically missing cues surely they would edit his pieces a bit tighter?

1 Like

Even the OTS graphics are a throwback to another era. When was the last time you saw that many job ads in print media?

7 Likes

Or when was the last time you looked in print media for jobs at all? Most people look online these days.

4 Likes

Maybe the idea is that he’s watching the end of the last report from the monitor, then looking at the monitor for the next report?

2 Likes

Whatever the reason is I wish he’d stop. It’s one of the main reasons why I can’t stand watching WIN News anymore. It’s just so annoying at every story.

Nah he looks to his side or down at his papers at the start of every report. It would be to make sure he has the right script on him if the auto cue failed. But he really should stop doing it if it annoys you guys or else he should be suspended. I don’t know why his bosses are fine with his habit of looking to his side or down at his papers at the start of every report.

I sometimes watch some reports in the Western Victorian region on Facebook such as the Lydiard Street level crossing in Ballarat reopening to traffic on the 15th of November 2021 after one year and six months of being closed off to traffic since an out of control V/Line passenger train to Wendouree failed to stop at Ballarat railway station and smashed through the southern interlocking gates sending debris flying on the 30th of May 2020. Other reports were the 60th anniversary of BTV6 and the closure of the Walker Street studios.

Bruce Roberts looking to his side or down at his papers at the start of every report is definitely irritating, but when he breathes at the start of every report as well that annoys me more.

The other reason for you is because it’s pre recorded. Why would you watch a pre recorded Tasmanian news bulletin when you can watch a live one on Seven or the ABC?

1 Like

BREAKING NEWS EVERYONE! He’s watching WIN News again! :scream:

14 Likes

A rare “look live” cross on the Illawarra bulletin tonight. Looks like it was done about an hour before airtime with the sun setting just before 5pm.

6 Likes

Not a full bulletin. Just reports on Facebook that interest me

i have to admit i haven’t watched WIN for a couple of weeks, but now that PRIME have changed their graphics, lets hope WIN drags themselves out of the early 2000’s and does something with the set, the opener, the look/graphics, the stories they choose to do, infact they relaunch and start afresh, i believe in you WIN! you can do it!

Wouldn’t be surprised if Nine are preventing WIN from imitating the network look. Why would Nine want their brand style used by a product they have no control over?

Think back to when Seven prevented SCA from using “7 News Tasmania” branding, and that was with a top-rating, polished, metro-quality bulletin.

3 Likes

WIN won’t change graphics to make it look.more like 9 news. Not yet anyway

Good to see they’re trying something different.

WIN have mirrored 9News’ graphics since the mid 2000’s. They even continued to use the 9News theme music for the 5 years they were affiliated with Network 10 / 10 News, with no issue.
I don’t think 9 would care if WIN wanted their news templates. I think this is more of a case of WIN not having the money and resources to throw at a new graphics package.

5 Likes