WIN News

I can’t believe she was there for 17 years. Doesn’t seem like that long. I recall her first night being somewhat of a train wreck. To her and WIN’s credit they stuck with it, she quickly improved and she blossomed into a very good newsreader. Hope plenty of work comes her way via Fox Sports.

1 Like

Last night there was a package on 60 years of BTV6 Ballarat.

This was also broadcast in the Illawarra bulletin, which is where I saw it:

11 Likes

While it was a nice package, it highlights how dire WIN’s news situation is right now. This story has no relevance at all to NSW.

8 Likes

so approx 5 mins of local news including sport. Prime currently do around 18 to 21 mins of local news… 9NL used to do around 11 mins of local news and sport (in first version) then around 6 mins in version 2 at 530pm. Would love to see a comparitive news rundown from Prime on the same night, im sure there was other news other than the Elvis fest

1 Like

Hopefully one day when Nine eventually acquires WIN, Nine will reinvest into regional news and the NBN-style regional composites will be reestablished.

Compared to both pre-swap WIN and now, it was the superior formula.

I’d say the pre-Covid NNL (state-wide w/ variations) is the most likely outcome.

3 Likes

It’ll take time, but I’d prefer Nine restoring the Nine News Local brand if Nine chooses to buy WIN.

3 Likes

The WIN News model you have now is pretty much what Nine would be doing now, except that Wollongong and Canberra have their own bulletins, rather than being lumped in with Central West/Riverina.

This was all agreed between WIN and Nine to deliver Nine their increased affiliation revenue.

Admittedly, Nine may need to do more than this if Nine acquired the operation tomorrow under the increased requirements.

I even saw that story on a central Queensland WIN News Facebook Page. Fancy a Ballarat Story for the people of Rockhampton to see? I honestly much prefer the local News of the old

1 Like

Highly doubtful that will happen. Nine tried that with southern cross and it didn’t work. I much doubt Nine will Experiment with that idea again

As far as I’m aware NEC the owner of Nine has no plans to purchase or merge with WIN at this stage.

How did it not work? And are you referring to the format with the local news, sport and weather windows or the statewide format?

they dont need to. They are on record as saying they have all the benefits without the cost. I know 9 are not overly wrapt with what WIN does for them in a news sense, so something might change there. Much like 9 taking on WIN sales staff, they may in the future take over the news side of things as well. Who knows?!! If only we had a crystal ball

Im referring to both. If it worked well there wouldn’t be any reason to change the format. Look at NBN News

WIN has appeared to change their mic flags.

4 Likes

9 have also appeared to have updated their mic flags today.

3 Likes

the stickers are wonky :grimacing:

doesn’t improve the coverage though.

3 Likes

Spent last night in the Illawarra and caught up with the local WIN News bulletin.

It felt like it was 1987 to match the surroundings of my motel room.

Where was the live crosses to reporters or even fake “look lives”? There was a random Bulldogs story (even though this is Saints territory?) and what’s with Bruce Roberts looking off camera every few seconds?

The weather presenter could have been on location at Wollongong Harbour to give it a local feel.

Reporters seemed fine and didn’t sound “green”. Perhaps they put those ones in other markets?

This is supposedly the flagship bulletin for the WIN network and there’s nothing exciting.

Prime7 have worked it out. Local News doesn’t need to be boring.

9 Likes

Not when there is no money. There is no excess revenue being generated to reinvest in expansion of news, brand etc like they had previously. I wouldn’t be surprised to see bulletins replaced by noodle updates if the ad market tanks.

2 Likes