WIN News

Are they not bumping to 9Go like they did during the Aus Open?

Not worth their while for just one day.

i just don’t get why they continue with what was once a great new organisation. bump it to 5 mins windows and stop trying to pretend its a half hour local news in the Central West of NSW when its just 2 stories of news a day. No backup plan when a journo is on leave or sick, and the same for when the camera op on sick or on leave. Local important sport is not being covered as they cant pay for OT on weekend. news will only appear on that service if it happens between 9am and 5pm 5 days a week. the 7 affiliate is laughing all the way to the ratings bank.

1 Like

Your points are valid, however, if WIN gets rid of its half hour news, you can be damn sure that viewers (who probably barely watch it) will complain.

1 Like

Even the Wollongong bulletin is very light on real local news these days. They try to disguise it but it is quite obvious when they show a report that’s designed to play across multiple local markets. Then there’s the obvious filler stuff they use to pad out the bulletins- extended Tamworth Country Music Festival and the Parkes Elvis Festival reports featured heavily in one bulletin last week.

2 Likes

I highly doubt they’d complain about that as they would’ve complained more when the local content in the bulletins was down scaled to just two local stories. In regards to downscaling it to a 5 minute local window I definitely agree that’s a great idea then the current format. The current format is unwatchable (except in the Illawarra, Canberra and Tasmania) The bulletin should go for about 10-15 minutes with no ad breaks. Or WIN News should be axed altogether (except in the Illawarra, Canberra and Tasmania) as when the reporter is sick or on leave the bulletin only gets a voiceover report. And when the camera operator is sick or on leave then no local content can air.

Then what news does RVIC (except Albury) get?

1 Like

Hopefully Prime7 News in the future. At the moment we have to rely on the radio, the newspaper and the internet to hear what’s happening in our region.

Saw Emma Groves from WIN News Canberra doing stories for ABC now. This is after Harry Frost jumped ship last year from Nine News Local over to ABC as well (presumably motivated by NNL shutting down).

With no one other than the ABC able to retain TV journalists in Canberra one wonders why WIN still bothers with local news here. Certainly would be more profitable not to run it at this point surely.

It’s no secret that regional commercial networks pay considerably less than what the ABC is offering and with the price of rentals in Canberra, it’ll make the move more comfortable.

And why file 2 mediocre packages when you can do just 1 good one?

At least on the ABC she might actually have an audience, local people actually watch the ABC

Don’t think I’ve ever met a single person who’s watched WIN news in the last 15 - 20 years

@Jack_BAULCH might be watching, even though he says he doesn’t. :joy:

4 Likes

I don’t know why anyone would still move to Canberra for reasons other than federal government employment, small and isolated yet very expensive, one of the worst places on earth lol (I love it though)

Emma could just go back to wherever she comes from (SA I think)

I moved there for a job in TV to further my career and I was “highly” paid (for regional TV standards) and I hated having to fork out my $420 a week in rent (although I’m sure this is probably closer to $500 something now).

The ABC paid well and probably didn’t have to do half the crap.

People see the ABC as a way to transition back to their home cities too.

Anyway this is totally off topic.

1 Like

Surely sharehouses are much less that $420 a week (actually I know they are)

Regional TV jobs aren’t likely to exist in the near future

Felt like I left SCA right before my own job was axed

Here’s an example of how tonight’s Central West bulletin played out:

Bold means local story

First Segment

Teachers Strike – Filed by Sasha Haanappel
Parkes Elvis Festival – Filed by Mikayla Fanto
Cudal ATV Crash – V/O
Glenroi (Orange suburb) House Fire – V/O
Stay Program Hailed Success – Filed by Olivana Lathouris
Parkes Showground Upgrade – V/O
New Golfing Technology – Filed by Mikayla Fanto

Second Segment

Solar Electric Vehicle – Filed by Olivana Lathouris
Bravehearts Marathon – Filed by Sophie Lester
Riding Club Donation – Filed by Sam Mills
Cross to Sport

Sport

Western Premier League Soccer – V/O
Horse Racing – V/O
Dragons/Roosters ANZAC Day Clash – Filed by Corey Hammond
Canberra Raiders – V/O

Weather

I thought Central West combined with Wagga Wagga to produce this bulletin but this suggests it’s seperate. Nothing happens in Dubbo or Bathurst it seems either. No stringer?

I bet if you did a rundown of Prime7 on the same night they’d have a lot more local stories.

Sad to think there was 4 journos and 4 cammos working on that bulletin in the past.

1 Like

I only see the weather report when I turn on the TV to watch Nine News.

1 Like

I actually did, and Prime7 had more local stories than WIN’s Central West bulletin

2 Likes