WIN News

Here’s a montage of Tasmania last night and caps of weather presentation:

3 Likes

With Ten Eyewitness News Sydney going until 6:30pm tonight due to the swearing in of Scott Morrison as PM, what happened with WIN News?

1 Like

In QLD - WIN local news ran as usual at 6pm

1 Like

Illawarra bulletin aired as normal.

2 Likes

So WIN viewers didn’t get to see Ten’s live coverage of Scott Morrison being sworn in as PM then?

No.

Wow! Big round of applause to WIN for that one. :rofl:

1 Like

They should have continued with the Ten News coverage and shifted the lower quality WIN News to One.

1 Like

https://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Television/Local--regional-content/local-arealocal-content-i-acma
If Only WIN Television Relaunched a Dedicated Mackay News Bulletin Again.

May I ask when they axed the Mackay bulletin, and why?

WIN axed the Mackay bulletin in May 2015 due to low ratings.

1 Like

They continued “WIN Weather Updates” for a time, but those were also axed (some time in 2016?).

I wonder if they’d ever consider repeating what they did for Griffith and merging it into an adjacent bulletin, either Rockhampton or Townville depending on demographic similarities.

In order to maintain the remaining news services, Mackay, Griffith and WA were progressively squeezed out of the news operation. Otherwise WIN would probably be operating at a loss. That’s what happens in a declining advertising market together with increasing costs of affiliation.

2 Likes

and SA.

2 Likes

I cannot see WIN Television reintroducing a Mackay local news bulletin anytime soon. Or introducing a Northern NSW local news bulletin. It’s not viable in those areas due to low ratings.

That would be extremely difficult and very tricky. Mackay is about 4 or 5 hours drive from Townsville and 4 or 5 hours drive from Rockhampton. Why would WIN want to reintroduce a news bulletin in Mackay when it was cancelled due to low ratings?

If Mackay only had one local news service I could understand why people are still calling for WIN News to return, but both Seven and SCA Nine are currently providing some form of local news on weeknights. Also according to the Regional TAM Universe Estimates for 2018, the Mackay sub-market only has 193,000 viewers. Is that really enough to support three local news services directly competing against each other? Probably not.

Re, Northern NSW: It’s not really a population issue but rather that there’s considerably more established local news services from NBN Nine and (in the North West/Coast regions) Prime7. Those likely remain viable because they’re airing on stations with a strong network affiliation and with strong lead-in/lead-out programs. With WIN having weak lead-in/lead-out programs and a network affiliation which certainly doesn’t have news as a strength, full bulletins of WIN News for Northern NSW would have no hope in the ratings and I suspect even Bruce Gordon knows this.

2 Likes

Unfortunately this is true. If WIN could find an alternative time, then maybe it would be possible. This is the unfortunate reality of television aggregation and increased competition for advertising dollars. It would have been good if WIN could produce a bulletin for Newcastle, but like with the Mackay TV market, its not likely to happen any time soon.

The only possibility would be if WIN became more friendly with Ten and were able to insert say a 10 minute news segment for Northern NSW and Mackay as opposed to a full 30 minute bulletin. Even if they let to say 5 or so minutes behind the Ten’s main channel and catch up 2 minutes per hour between say 6:05pm through to 9:30pm weeknights. Below is my rough schedule and comparisons for when shows would air

TEN WIN NthNSW/Mackay WIN SthNSW/QLD/VIC
5:00pm Ten News 5:00pm Ten News 5:00pm Ten News
6:00pm Pointless 5:55pm WIN Newsbreak 6:00pm WIN News (Includes National News Update at 6:30pm)
6:30pm The Project 6:07pm Pointless 6:36pm The Project
7:30pm Reality TV 6:36pm The Project 7:34pm Reality TV Show
8:30pm Evening Viewing 7:34pm Reality TV Show 8:32pm Evening Viewing
8:32pm Evening Viewing

Why? The Project starts with national news. And I can’t see WIN bothering to go to the trouble of doing a news update from scratch using Ten News content.

2 Likes

That is just a suggestion of what could happen - it doesnt have to include it. The other argument could have been why would WIN run 2 feeds over 3 and a half hours. Another alternative could be an extra few minutes of local news