WIN News

This one worked out well yeah?

1 Like

Decisions…

1. stop the changes then in six-months time sack 90% of the entire news department across the country for 2 min noodle updates.

2. continue to centralise news whilst still having journalists/camera operators on the ground and almost 20 proper local bulletins across the country each weeknight.

I know which one I think is better for viewers and employees alike… That’s what happens when you have, frankly, unjustified increasing affiliation costs in tandem with three commercial operators in smaller regional markets and like a dozen commercial channels per market.

1 Like

WIN said reporters and camera crews will still be out in the field but i don’t think they said there would be no job losses

The problem for regional broadcasters is that now its not just each other they face challenges from, but also on-demand options such as Netflix and Stan. The regional broadcasters need to work out cost effective ways to deliver their product. I think that its admirable that WIN despite being number 3 ranked in most (if not all) of Australia continues with regional news in some of its markets. The one thing that annoys me is that in Newcastle, WIN hasn’t given it another try - moreso given that it would be the only alternative to the NBN News monopoly.

1 Like

Part 2 of the 1998 Wollongong Floods 20th Anniversary special report:

4 Likes

Does anyone know who will be presenting the Tasmanian bulletin come Monday? Geoff Phillips / Bruce Roberts / Lincoln Humphries?

Also worth noting after they put the broom through WIN Tasmania they cleared out three journos, three production staff and two camera operators.

1 Like

Kristy Coulcher has been getting a fair amount of airtime lately, filling in for both the news and sport presenters on both NSW and VIC bulletins. So perhaps it may be her.

Would there be a chance of moving either both or one of Lucy and Brent to Wollongong? Try to make the change less visible to viewers?

Lucy has commented on her Instagram that she will be remaining in Tasmania as a journalist/producer.

Also interesting comment from ABC News journo that Sunday nights were the highest rating night. I assume this means for the WIN bulletin.

I doubt it. Maybe it’s Bruce Roberts, since Tassie TV is connected close to VIC and Melbourne.

1 Like

Brent has other work here, his wife is also part of the WIN team (read final weekend bulletin). I’m certain they have young kids, not sure why they would want to move to Wollongong?
Lucy’s husband works for ABC Hobart. Highly doubtful they would want to move to Wollongong.

1 Like

Part 3 of the 1998 Wollongong Floods 20th Anniversary special report:

3 Likes

Ironically, Nine News Illawarra also aired a report on the 1998 floods tonight.

Bruce Roberts

1 Like

Split screen for South Coast bushfires:

3 Likes

I reckon Tasmanian’s will warm to him quite quickly.

1 Like

Can the ACT get Bruce too?

1 Like

2 Likes

Tasmania’s senators have put animosity to the side in a show of tripartite support for the state’s WIN Network staff, who are facing an uncertain future in light of recently announced job cuts.

3 Likes

If Only Mackay could launch WIN News Again.

1 Like