WIN News

https://www.regionaltam.com.au

Even still, it doesn’t leave a lot of time in the day for a journalist to gather the story, put the story together and to send it for broadcast - especially when some of these regional journalists cover a vast areas of their broadcast areas - ultimately this has to impact the timeliness of some stories

Interesting. Thanks!

If the readers intros are pasted onto the news item then wouldn’t that give them more time since the reader can record their bit earlier in the day and the story can be delivered later?

I think it depends on how many production teams there are and how many productions can be done at once. If the presenter has a spiel about what the story is about, it can be produced even before the reporter and camera crew deliver the story back to HQ

WIN News Illawarra is airingg a 3 part series on the 20th Anniversary of the Wollongong Floods. Special reports by Geoff Phillips.

WIN also has two reporters at this year’s Ekka in Brisbane. One from the Central Queensland and Darling Downs newsrooms respectively.

2 Likes

While the idea is commendable and will probably help their ratings, wouldn’t this work better as a special program/documentary scheduled on a Saturday afternoon or something?

Also, rather interesting how WIN have two reporters at the Ekka when they only had one at the Sydney Royal Easter Show. Of course I get that WIN have full bulletins in all but one aggregated market in Queensland compared to only Southern NSW/ACT and short updates up North, but still

Part 1 of the 1998 Wollongong Floods 20th Anniversary special report:

4 Likes

Adding Mackay and Mildura News Stories

1 Like

Expect WIN to Introduce Noodle Updates for Mackay and Mildura Soon?

1 Like

why would they?

Seven jobs to go at the Hobart newsroom, the ABC is reporting:
WIN News staff cuts as end looms for Tasmanian-fronted bulletins

2 Likes

But they said there would be no job losses! Who is running WIN Television? With Peter Costello running Nine, it must be Tony Abbott running WIN.

I didn’t see any special send off for the last weekend bulletin last night. I wonder if they’ll be allowed to do anything on Friday.

5 Likes

What devastating news this is. If only the axing of local Darwin 9 news got this much attention.

3 Likes

Media Watch had paid attention on Nine axing local production of its Darwin bulletin in July last year: http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4703175.htm

With the above in mind, I’m a bit surprised that Media Watch didn’t have a story about WIN axing local production of its Tasmanian news bulletin on tonight’s show.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s directly related to WIN News, but I do wonder if they should have kept the Nine affiliation in Tasmania? Surely having WIN News sandwiched into Ten programming has cost viewers and advertising dollars?

Screenshot_2018-08-13-23-27-51-23

3 Likes

I thought that at the time too. They also switched their primary affiliation in solus markets, and in WA.

I’m guessing a lot of it was driven by spite on Bruce’s behalf, but also to streamline operations. They only have to produce one set of rebranded promos this way 

1 Like

It also allowed WIN to get a better deal out of Ten, although I think the numbers could have been slightly lower still until such time as Ten delivered greatly improved performance.