WIN News

It’s not THAT big a story, WIN are still doing a Tasmanian bulletin… Just presented elsewhere.

1 Like

It is a big deal if you’d like to work in the TV industry when you grow up. That’s four presenter jobs now gone out the window… luckily I’ve done my time but I feel for any young person wanting to enter the industry in Tasmania.

5 Likes

The ABC is so incorrect with most of this information, and interesting to see two people bagging the crap out of WIN which gave them their start in their careers.

2 Likes

That seems a bit harsh… which ABC facts were not correct?

1. “Raising concerns about media diversity in Tasmania” - News will still be produced from Tasmania about Tasmania
  2. “WIN progressively shifting production of its bulletins to Wollongong, Tasmania was the last . . .” production will still be done in Tasmania - only read from Wollongong.
  3. Tom Payne says "Tasmanians are aware of their local news and in Tasmania we want that going on . . . "production of local news will stay the same ???
  4. Wendy Kennedy “to get rid of local news is so disrespectful to all Tasmanians . . .” refer above, local news will be produced and provided from Tasmania
  5. Keryn Nylander say’s client not going to advertise if it’s not local news . . . refer above . . .

Keryn Nylander actually said “if it’s not 7 days a week, news as it happens”… which is correct - it isn’t and it won’t be

1 Like

How’s the weather in Wollongong today?

10 Likes

Same as here in Sydney

Still a valid concern when there’ll only be two locally presented news sources in the state, regardless of whether production is affected (which it 100% will be over time)

This is a fact. WIN no longer produce bulletins in Queensland and Victoria - all is done in Wollongong (bar the occasionally AAN bulletin as discussed above)

The other three points are more contentious, but if there’s less of an audience to a bulletin that is perceived not to be local then naturally you risk losing advertisers: I’m sure there’s more local advertising on 7 Tasmania Southern Cross and WIN during that 6pm hour than there is on TDT, for instance

1 Like

News Corp and Fairfax have locally written and produced newspapers and websites, and the Grant radio stations have local news and news on their websites. There other local news sources available.

2 Likes

There have been concerns about the future of the two Fairfax papers in Tassie too with the Nine takeover which ABC has also been discussing. Both The Advocate and The Examiner have had significant cutbacks over the years with Fairfax owenership.

1 Like

How do you record 16 news editions without it having an impact on the timeliness of delivering the content?

14 Likes

There’s a new advertisement for WIN News Canberra in the Canberra Weekly magazine:

Up until recently, it still had this old one with Hannah McEwan, even though she left WIN a while ago:

And for about a year following the timeslot change, that old advertisement still had “7pm Weeknights”, when it was at 6pm.

4 Likes

Tasmanian Labor leader Rebecca White has just posted the letter that she has sent to the WIN CEO calling for the decision to be reversed.

2 Likes

Link:

2 Likes

I just thought Hannah McEwan was on mat leave. That I didn’t know when even though she still lists WIN News Meteorologist on social media.

@bacco007 Copy and pasting bulletins together. Reader intros recorded and overlaid with corresponding reports instead of recording each bulletin in 30 minute blocks how it used to be done.

Off topic but 7QLD moved to this practice following the introduction of the CQ and DD bulletins. Example is double header and solo presented bulletins each shoot one closer which is used across the six bulletins (Sunny Coast is live so exception) hence why they no longer show the local projection backdrop when signing off.

As others have mentioned I think WIN would benefit from moving to composite state bulletins with local windows, which would give them the option to go live when needed. The current bulletins are just stale and lifeless, often WIN is the last local news source to feature the news presented in their bulletins which doesn’t give incentive to watch.

@William_C From memory she was on maternity leave and didn’t return. Hannah and family moved back home to regional Victoria. Hayley Francis, who filled in for Hannah when Corinne was unavailable, is the permanent weather presenter for Queensland, I believe she is based out of Wollongong now.

1 Like

From Rebecca White’s letter:

The ratings for WIN News tell another story Rebecca.

6 Likes

Has any outraged journo or politician bothered to look at the ratings and see that Tasmanians do not watch nor support Win News Tasmania?

Maybe some context here…

Are Tasmania’s TV ratings published anywhere online?