WIN News

I probably have to agree with @TheHubMan and the idea to do a composite bulletin for each aggregated market with pre-recorded local content windows + live state, national & international content using the resources of Ten and/or Sky News.

Any really important Breaking News (which aside from the larger regional cities, I assume rarely happens after 5pm with many country towns basically shutting up for the night around then) from regional areas could possibly be shown during the region-wide windows.

A few years back, I seem to recall someone who was (then, since left) at Prime7 saying to me on Twitter that the North West/Coast bulletins would still have content decisions made in Tamworth back when the presentation moved to Canberra in April 2015. But less than six months later, a number of senior news editors and bulletin directors were axed including Tamworth-based content decision making positions for Prime7’s North West/Coast bulletins which I can only presume are now done out of Canberra.

Of course WIN will still need to have reporters/camera crews based in Tasmania if they’re to effectively report on Tasmanian news stories, but what’s to say that the news director or editorial positions won’t be centralised at some point in the future if WIN decides it’s cheaper to get Wollongong-based staff monitoring Tasmanian news outlets online?

Great article from the ABC, although it was particularly interesting to see them use a tweet from Jayne Azzopardi: Former WIN News reporter (NSW, but still) and current reporter/presenter at Channel Nine Sydney! :wink:

1 Like

What Queensland content is produced out of Wollongong compared to Maroochydore?

I think they only present the All Australian News in Maroochydore (not always though).

The local Queensland bulletins are presented in Wollongong.

Weird to not do at least Sunshine Coast news from there since they’ve bothered to keep it operational

A story from the home of WIN.

2 Likes

Top story on ABC Tasmania with a 5 minute report

9 Likes

No mention on tonight’s Southern Cross News about WIN’s demise of local news production, judging by their YouTube video of tonight’s bulletin (which covers only Tasmanian stories).

1 Like

A bad name for the story, surely there are better ones:

• NO-WIN
  • WIN SOME, LOSE SOME
7 Likes

It seemed to be ABC breaking the news first last night, I wonder if they also got it a bit quicker since they share the same building as WIN does now in Hobart after WIN and TDT Ten/Nine moved in a few years ago. Maybe they should just move Southern Cross down there too and make it the TV and radio hub for Hobart!

Speaking of the ABC, you’d have to imagine that Media Watch will most likely have a story about the WIN News Tasmania cutbacks on next week’s program?

If so, I really hope that among the expected dissection of the media coverage there’ll also be a brief mention of what the ratings for WIN News Tasmania have been recently. Hopefully the soon to be Hobart-turned-Wollongong produced bulletin is/was outrating the TDT broadcasts of Nine News Melbourne, because it’d be pretty sad if it was revealed that more Tasmanians prefer to get their news from Peter Hitchener (as great of a newsreader he is) over Lucy Breaden!

4 Likes

More people watch ABC News Tasmania than watch WIN News Tasmania so it’s good the news got out to more viewers.

1 Like

Slightly off topic but hopefully Nine can use opportunity to launch a Tasmanian bulletin with Jo Hall
(just like Darwin and Canberra). That way Nine can extend their reach and have a chance at denting WIN’s fragmented audience.

WIN and SC aren’t going to spend their money on paying Nine to make a bulletin that would compete with their own products.

If anything if Nine News Melbourne is doing too well, they’d be more likely to just substitute the Sydney news in its place.

2 Likes

WIN allowing Nine to put out a local news on a 50% WIN owned channel in competition with WIN’s own news? Seems doubtful.

4 Likes

If WIN News Tasmania is already struggling in the ratings, the establishment of Nine News Tasmania (a bulletin that would probably be even more appealing to viewers than Melbourne’s most popular TV news) would surely be the last thing Bruce Gordon & co would like to see happen!

2 Likes

And I guess that to make Nine News Tasmania happen, one news department must face the axe, as well. But I’ll hold my breath on that first and discuss it on another thread, as always.

The idea of Nine producing a bulletin for Tasmania makes no sense. Nine have affiliation with a supplementary channel. Absolutely no way Southern Cross and WIN would accept spending a 50% affiliation payment for TDT for the benefit of losing viewers from their own loss making news services.

ABC News report about the axing:

9 Likes

The former WIN Tasmania journalist in that story who claims Sydney and Melbourne residents don’t care about local news but Tasmanians do. Fake news. The highest rating programs on a regular basis in Sydney and Melbourne are the news bulletins with a large chunk of local stories, as it is in Tasmania. It just doesn’t rate on WIN.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes: is that term really necessary?

5 Likes