WIN News

In all honesty, there probably won’t be much change outside of the presentation being Wollongong based.
I’ve always found it a well presented 30 minute bulletin with terrible graphics, as opposed to SC7 having a 60 min bulletin (except Sat 30 min bulletin during AFL season) that’s got about the same amount of local news with plenty of stuff lifted from the mainland.
Think its a preference for a 30 min bulletin (even that feels too long sometimes) for me. Graphics are nicer but I’ve noticed every time I’ve watched since the new setup there’s been gremlins throwing to wrong stories and the sports readers for SC7 are awful.

1 Like

Sky news on win?

Cutting local production and inevitably jobs in favour of selling out to Sky News, how sad.

1 Like
3 Likes

It’s very disappointing that a state bulletin will be produced and presented from another state, after Nine News moved its Darwin bulletin to Brisbane.
Georgia Love (who was also WIN News Tasmania presenter and reporter before taking part in The Bachelorette) showed her anger on Twitter last night.

4 Likes

She hasn’t been to regional Victoria then?

Georgia was the newsreader as well as doing a bit of reporting.

1 Like

Yet nobody really noticed when Queensland packed up their Maroochydore studios and shipped some of the presenters to Wollongong :thinking:

4 Likes

Interesting that everyone is saying the Tasmanian WIN News will be produced from Wollongong - this is predominantly incorrect . . . the Tasmanian news will still be produced from Tasmania, with the news director, producers, journalists, and camera staying in Hobart and Launceston. The change is twofold, a) the news will be read from Wollongong and b) there won’t be weekend bulletins.

So similar in a way to when Ten moved the Perth bulletin to their Pyrmont studios in 2000, but News was being produced through resources in Dianella?

1 Like

So will this bulletin be recorded 5 hours before it airs? They can’t really produce 16 bulletins from woollongong live can they?

2 Likes

Wollongong*
Tasmania will still be live from Wollongong. Every other bulletin out of Wollongong is now prerecorded.

1 Like

so fucking retarded. they might as well just pull a 9 news regional and have a composite bulletin with local inserts instead of this shit (both designs have major flaws, but at least the news won’t all be hours old).

6 Likes

Has that been stated by WIN? Just wondering.

What’s the solution? A separate studio and set of news readers for each market?

The same model is used by 7 QLD regional and as you mentioned the regional component of 9 regional news is pre-recorded hours before.

If they were serious about news they could have four studios for each state (bar Northern NSW) and have them do a bulletin with local, national and international news - they have their own, the ten/cbs resources (or should have) to do all of that. if done right they could make it feel fast paced like metro news or make it feel faster than metro news if they got it down to a craft (I’'m probably underestimating this a lot).

Their competition is 9 news and they’re getting whooped as I gather, so use the competition’s formula against them and do it better than them. it’s not like Nine have patented that news format. Different presenters for each region so news doesn’t feel stale.

They could even record an intro to a story in ad breaks with this or figure a way to go live when news breaks. Instead of ‘joining our network headquarters’ like nine does in NSW.

But this would all be a pipe dream as the last 10-15-20 years of WIN News has been half-arsed plans and barley satisfying the local content requirements - just look at how they responded to media watch, they are barely anything more than a PR machine.

5 Likes

Not strictly about WIN, but it’s still relevant for this thread.

1 Like

There are now 4 or 5 News studios in Wollongong serving all regions, with different presenters.

Four news studios I believe. Queensland is presented out of D, Victoria is A, NSW/ACT is B and I assume C is Northern NSW updates and will be for Tasmania.

Maroochydore is still used fairly regularly for the AAN. I can only assume this will become a more regular fixture with the amount of production coming from Wollongong.

Has there been any word of whether the current presenters will front the Tasmanian bulletin?

4 Likes