WIN News

WIN News was under the spotlight on tonight’s Media Watch:
WIN News runs PR puff

3 Likes

Tanya Dendrinos will be filling in for Melissa Russell whilst she is on maternity leave.

3 Likes

WIN to axe local production of its Tasmanian bulletin.

5 Likes

Wow. That is seriously disappointing. Feeling for the staff who will loose their jobs.
One would hope that they at least have a tribute on Friday to their Tasmanian team but knowing WIN, I doubt that will happen.

17th August is the final local bulletin.

4 Likes

I think Southern Cross/Seven & ABC will be promoting their bulletins as being proudly made in Tasmania, and that ratings of both bulletins will increase.

WIN has had their reputation damaged in Tasmania in recent years, first with the axing of local weekend bulletins in 2011, only to bring it back a year later, and now this. I think it’s fair to say that WIN’s ratings will tumble further in Tasmania.

That means from Monday 20th August, all of WIN’s news productions will be done out of Wollongong.

5 Likes

Surprised they didn’t do this as soon as they flipped to the Ten affiliation to be honest as their ratings compared to Southern Cross have been pitiful for years.

4 Likes

Very disappointing news from WIN although unfortunately, I’m actually not surprised to hear that the network has decided to produce their Tasmanian bulletin from Wollongong after centralising the presentation of their Canberra, Regional Victoria and Regional Queensland bulletins in recent years.

Are the weekend editions of WIN News Tasmania also being axed? The news we’ve heard so far doesn’t make that clear with only references to “local weekday bulletins” from the ABC Hobart tweets.

To be honest, I actually wonder if WIN News Tasmania is even outrating the broadcasts of Nine News Melbourne on TDT these days.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s much more for SC to grab of the market.

I can’t see why people would watch it over the comprehensive and metro quality bulletin on SC, it is just a badly formatted bulletin, which relies on people watching an hour of Victorian news first.

Obviously it’s sad to see job losses, but WIN haven’t been competitive for ages leading to an inevitability of this move.

1 Like

Had to happen eventually as it isn’t cost efficient these days for Tasmania to be producing so little content per studio compared to Wollongong.

The fact no other content is produced from Tasmania probably told you the production staff were on borrowed time.

Are Win obliged to broadcast a 30 minute bulletin in Tasmania or could they get away with the 2 minute updates?

I think they could get away with 2 minute updates if they wanted to, like they do in Northern NSW.

See: https://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Television/Local--regional-content/local-areas-and-licensees-local-regional-content-i-acma

Sad day for local tv production in Tasmania.

2 Likes

That’s what I was looking for, thanks. So at least they’re continuing to have a crack at a 30 minute bulletin. If centralising production reduces costs and keeps them on air, broadcasting local stories than to me that’s a good thing.

An article from The Mercury seems to imply that weekend bulletins will be axed.
https://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/tasmanias-win-news-bulletin-to-be-presented-from-wollongong/news-story/e6f995394c3fa2c981203b939b1eb017

2 Likes

So back to what it was previously? Used to be only Mo-Fr, then Nine News Melb aired over the weekend.

Since WIN is no longer affiliated with Nine, I think it’s more likely to be Ten Eyewitness News (national) over the weekend, and whatever the current weekday arrangement will likely continue.

1 Like

I’m guessing from the presentation side of things, WIN News Tasmania will now revert to the standard WIN template rather the hybrid Ten Eyewitness setup they have.

1 Like

I’m aware of that, what I said was what it used to be. I meant they would actually air the Ten national bulletin instead.

4 Likes

Agreed.

I guess this was inevitable after their 5.30 News Hour experiment started after the affiliation switch. Maybe a short and quick composite 30 minute bulletin at 6pm would’ve been better. They’d have a point of difference with SC, but the Ten affiliation really hurt.