WIN News

Rural voters watching a diet of Sky News and WIN News is about as bad a thing for this nation’s political discussion as I can imagine.

7 Likes

I find it funny they mention channel 53 for Northern NSW in the report, which no one in Northern NSW would get as there is no WIN News in Northern NSW.

11 Likes

We all know about Sky News’ notoriously editorial broadcasting particularly when it comes to their political shows (which is probably on the same level as the output of radio 2GB), but I’ve only ever found content from WIN News to be a little too slow paced.

Presumably the report will be shown to Northern NSW via WIN’s All Australian News, so that’s probably why they mentioned that NRN viewers will get “Sky News on WIN” on Channel 53 whenever it’s launched.

2 Likes

Which I suspect no one watches…at least by choice. :rofl:

5 Likes

Plus waiting Tasmania as Bruce’s final nail in the coffin for their production retreat to Wollonggong?

…surely that won’t happen?

1 Like

Surely won’t. That’s WIN’s remaining active production area aside from Wollonggong.

1 Like

The studios up at WIN City in Ballarat would surely still be used?

Where is Prime’s base in Victoria now? I think they got rid of that a long time ago.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t WIN downsize to smaller facilites in Ballarat sometime after moving the production of it’s Victorian bulletins to Wollongong a couple of years ago?

I think the Hobart studios will be kept for now, but who knows what will happen come the next round of cost cutting!

2 Likes

I do remember seeing a building in Ballarat City that had something along the lines of “WIN NEWS WITH BRUCE ROBERTS - WEEKNIGHTS AT 6” but this dated back to the 2007-2012 pres package… IIRC, it was somewhere near the big roundabout at the start of the city.

2 Likes

WIN already share the ABC building in Hobart. Surely they can’t cut costs much more without disappearing!?
Hopefully there’s no cost cutting anytime soon.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s happened just yet. Newsroom, sales, admin and commercial production still at Walker St.

Not sure they’re technically had one with AMV being located over the border in Albury. But they moved out a few years ago.

I understand Southern Cross still use the Bendigo facilities in a manner similar to WIN with radio studios included.

2 Likes

Hopefully not, but sharing a building isn’t exactly a bad thing. There was a YouTube video of a tour of the old WIN facilities in Hobart just prior to the move and it seemed well beyond their operational requirements.

1 Like

I more meant it as they have already clearly cut costs by sharing a building.
Yes, their old building was teeny tiny.

WIN’s Ballarat studios still house admin, news and a large traffic department that look after scheduling for Vic, Tas, SA, WA, MDV etc., production facilities are leased to an independent operator. But, there are current planning applications to move communication (phone) towers from the roof of the building to a different area on the edge of site. This is presumably to allow the bulk of the site to be sold for development.
Prime built a brand new studio in Ballarat for Aggregation and most activities were conducted from there, not the AMV Albury studio, though they did their own news production. After centralisation of Pres and production to Canberra, the Ballarat studio was sold and is now a Singapore company based flying school, as the studio is located across the road from the airport. Prime Ballarat now has a modest 2 story office building in the Main Street.

4 Likes

first free-to-air to broadcast a 24hr news channel.

Hang on… isn’t that exactly the title of ABC, when it was ABC News 24, now just ABC News, that is a free-to-air 24 hr news channel???

3 Likes

There you go, never knew about the Prime studio in Ballarat. Was much produced there?

1 Like

Win should move news production back to Ballarat. Ballarat should cater for the state of Victoria.

1 Like

…and the Sunshine Coast (where WIN previously presented their QLD bulletins from) should cater to the state of Queensland.

But unfortunately I can’t see that happening anytime soon, because centralization seems to be the way to go for the presentation of regional news services these days.

4 Likes

And if that means local news is still being produced in regional areas, I think that’s a reasonable pay off.

2 Likes