WIN News

The thing that gets me about centralising the Queensland bulletins to the Gong is the fact that the Maroochydore studios were a purpose built facility as the hub for WIN’s Queensland operations in 2012. If a move to Wollongong was always on the radar it would have made more sense to keep Queensland bulletins out of the existing facilities in Rockhampton or Toowoomba. It seems like a wasted expense to construct three news studios that now sit vacant aside from the occasional All Australian News bulletin presented from there.

Toowoomba’s Mount Lofty studios still house newsroom, admin and sales. Rockhampton’s RTQ studios were demolished in 2016 with WIN relocating to a city centre location.

3 Likes

A promo aired in the last hour or so here in the Central West for Geoff Phillips, was a bloody good promo too!

Was it this promo? @Zacgb

4 Likes

That’s the one! Pretty good for a regional network!

1 Like

Because the skills and ideas of a Wollongong based producer naturally aren’t as good as someone based 55km up the road in Sydney? :roll_eyes:
From firsthand experience, there are more talented graphic artists and producers at the WIN Network than what there are at most metropolitan networks nowadays.

I think the inference here was that compared to what they’ve put out there previously, when trying to replicate the 9 News style guide, and based on presentation elements on other regional stations.

No doubt they’ve got some talented team in there currently who are producing some great stuff so kudos to them.

There you go, never knew about the Prime studio in Ballarat. Was much produced there?

Commercials, News updates when they had them, Weather reports, Football scoreboard, promos for AFL, probably a few other things I’ve forgotten. They did do their own Good Friday Appeal one year, with crosses to HSV, rather than the other way around.

3 Likes

Maybe Prime produced some or all of these in other regions but really don’t remember Central Victoria having any of them, I can only remember news updates coming from Channel 7 Melbourne, don’t remember any weather updates, can only recall Football scoreboard being on BCV-8. Can not commit on who produced AFL promos.

1 Like

IIRC, Footy Scoreboard was on Western Victoria as well.

Illawarra and Canberra last night:

To jog your memory, in early days of Aggregation, Region specific news updates primarily presented by Craig Moore, until they were canned, weather updates usually presented by Tarni Marks until moved to Canberra with Daniel Gibson, I can’t remember the name of the football score program, but that was Craig Moore as well.

2 Likes

I was finally able to record that promo off air:

7 Likes

Clearly ripping Nine and Seven off there :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yep. Very reminiscent of the “Mark Ferguson” promos for Seven News Sydney which aired a few years back!

6 Likes

There is also a version of this promo with Lincoln Humphries for Queensland:

1 Like

I’m presuming they put Geoff and Lincoln in front of a backdrop poster covering the green screen. Otherwise they’re using their graphics skills in the wrong places.

No poster, green screen as normal. Adobe AF and no time constraints make things much more versatile.

Asking because I don’t know graphics, but would it be easy for them to make a tracking shot template for the opener in a similar style to Seven Perth but just with the backdrop, and edit it in over the green screen at the start of every bulletin?

Or are all of their camera locked off?

1 Like

ACT Budget:

Looks more like Nine’s graphics than the Nine News Canberra’s efforts did.

1 Like