WIN News

WIN provides updates for four of the five local areas of NNSW, in the same configuration that SCA did:

ACMA Local Area Population Centres WIN Update Name
Richmond/Tweed Lismore; Gold Coast Gold Coast NNSW
North West Slopes & Plains Tamworth New England
Northern Rivers & Mid North Coast Coffs Harbour; Taree Coffs & Mid North Coast
Hunter Newcastle Hunter Newcastle
Central Coast Gosford

These AMCA pages have helped me greatly:

List of licenses and their local areas showing local content requirements covered by each broadcaster. Note that it hasn’t been updated to show WIN in NNSW instead of SCA.

Licence and local area maps for the aggregated markets and Tasmania.

1 Like

Just seen Bruce Roberts actually doing a report for the Thai Burma railway memorial. It was weird, when he came on screen walking toward the camera, he actually isn’t a bad reporter. But better at presenting

When do they film the newsroom section, it must be rather late, maybe 3pm, since they had a Super Bowl update, and also, they are either trying to make it appear more live, or they don’t have editing time, or they can’t be bothered, since Bruce almost said Friday, then almost Sunday, before eventually saying Monday.

1 Like

The infrastructure that WIN inherited from SCA means that the Central Coast receives the same feed as Newcastle - ads and all. And that WIN also only transmits from 1 of 3 transmitter sites across the Central Coast.

I’m hopeful that WIN will rectify this, and commence Central Coast updates as well.

Not best to screenshot an excerpt from an email.

2 Likes

I don’t think I am.

Have any viewers stopped receiving the Ten signal since WIN win took over and ceased using two of their transmitters on the Central Coast? They are a huge cost burden, so the fewer they use the better really.

I thought exactly the same thing…

Not sure who, or if anyone actually moderates their social media sites though as a post went up today promoting Bruce Roberts special report on the 9th anniversary of the Black Saturday bushfires and it said within the first line that 179 people were killed… No, it was 173… Might seem minor, but correct details are important.

1 Like

Nothing has changed in that sense.

SC TEN / WIN have NEVER been on air from the Gosford or Bouddi (southern end of the Coast) sites under either the analogue or digital platforms.

It was only ever received from the (northern end) Forresters Beach / Wyong site.

TEN Sydney can be received across all 3 sites.

1 Like

I think we know where all the viewers are going then… :joy:

1 Like

Not surprised - the cost of “switching on” two sites would be far more than they could hope to recoup in advertising in a market split by Sydney signals. Can’t think why anyone would bother watching WIN on the Central Coast when Ten is on offer.

1 Like

I’m not saying there would not be overheads in getting this content on TV - of course there would be.

But by not doing so is not maximizing the benefit of having these 55 newsrooms.

ABC has 55 newsrooms (i think that is the count, could be wrong) with staff producing digital, online and video content. Most new modern newsrooms do not produce content for one platform - but multiple platforms. A producer and reporter in a local newsroom in the US now files a report for digital/social/online, a report for on air - and in some markets where the station owns print - they also assist in a print/web version of the story.

ABC has these producers els and reporters - but the content does not make it on air. Not saying there are not logistical issues or costs - but I don’t think they are unrealistic. At the very least iview should have a way of choosing your local area and getting your local news on demand,

1 Like

News graphics for WIN news weather, inccorporating the rounded borders

6 Likes

Producing a news bulletin (even 15 minutes) requires a lot more resource than doing semi-regular video vignettes for the website. Once you commit to that level of TV, you instantly have to fill the equivalent of at least 7 full time staff - which means you need 8-ish people to accommodate holidays and sickness. Staff is the number one cost in this equation, not the technology.

The alternative is doing presenter-produced noodle news - which in my opinion is not worth bothering with at all.

4 Likes

this is something new

3 Likes

Illawarra Montage:

Canberra Montage:

5 Likes

Is there a reason why the updates have the local region name in the bug, but the bulletins themselves have the “Your Local News” slogan instead?

They were able to do local region names with the pre-affiliation swap graphics package, what’s changed?

1 Like

@Abesty Your posted 5.30 Illawarra update is the Canberra one.

That was an accident, here is the real Illawarra one:

1 Like

All Australian promo:

2 Likes