WIN News

some green screen graphics

6 Likes

They do, not daily and not enough, however I’d reckon there’s at least a report from a regional reporter once a week on ABC News Victoria.

Although I was the one that mentioned ABC not presenting local news bulletins (just to give an example), but I will remind everyone this is the WIN news string , not general news

I’m wondering if this story was included in the AAN. The format for this one is much more in line with a standard news report, especially the reporter sign off. Plus it’s missing the opener card and local bug.

1 Like

Southern NSW bulletins with the regular team all back together:

7 Likes

The reason companies like WIN must continue to be required to make local news is because they profit from the local economies in a way ABC and SBS do not.

The cost of requiring ABC to introduce local inserts for up to 55 centres as mentioned in this thread would be astronomical on a ‘per minute’ of airtime basis. Nine spent $15 million setting up three video broom cupboards and tech for 18 newsrooms (in established SCA buildings I might add). I cannot image any government convincing voters that the ABC should spend considerably more than this for what would be little more than noodle updates.

The solution is requiring WIN to produce more news, rather than saying ‘oh well, the public purse will pick up the tab while Bruce Gordon tops up his gin and tonic on a beach in Bermuda.’ Though he’s 88 now, so the WIN network may look very difference in any case in a few years.

I am all for a reduction in licence fees for WIN, but only with a requirement for in-market local television. Not a green-screen job from Wollongong - or in this case no local bulletin at all.

I live in hope that CBS might snap up some of Bruce’s regional stations to ‘fill out’ the Ten network like Nine (NBN/NTD) and Seven (STQ). I would be nice to see a commercial news studio in country Victoria, FNQ or ACT!

6 Likes

I agree on the networks that make money should provide news. I was just making a point that a person’s opinion won’t force the ACMA to act… Multiple complaints may work

In my opinion, the regional stations should have minimum proper programming to be count as local production,

As an example it was a minimum of 120 minutes a week of local news or 240 minutes of other local content… This should be reintroduced, but given the multi-channel environment stipulate either " a minimum of 120 minutes a week of local news" on the main channel OR “240 minutes of other local content” on a secondary channel…

Again its my opinion, will it matter, to some people, maybe, to the ACMA, probably not

Off topic a bit, but one of the problems with the media reforms was that the new local content requirements would only take effect six months after a “trigger event” (fancy talk for “change in control”).

The new local content requirements should have been given a definitive deadline such as 6 months to 1 year after the bill was signed into law. I can’t see ownership changing within the next few years, even longer for the non-aggregated markets that actually need the new requirements.

1 Like

i’ve wondered, when Tanya steps out of screen for the weather, is that her own decision, or has she been told to do that. Because the former presenters I know of (Britt Ditterich and Jane Bunn) never did that.

Just a thought, and maybe this probably belongs more in Mock Schedules than WIN News post, but given that Happy Days is aired weekdays at 11am and 6:30pm on One, perhaps to maximise viewing potential, One could screen a Family Feud encore at 6:30pm followed by a WIN News encore at 7:00pm in areas where WIN News have a half hour bulletin at 6pm.

any opinions on this thought??

I’m presuming AAN has transitioned to the new package. Does anybody have caps?

Still using the old key set and opener.

But with the new supers I’m guessing?

yes

I don’t think so. You’re thinking old school and on air newsrooms. ABC already has these newsrooms staffed producing video content for online. In fact it’s a waste of funds that the content they produce does not go on air.

1 Like

Getting that online and getting that on TV is a very different cost.

In the analogue days you could more or less just physically switch feeds to go from the network schedule to a local opt out - now you’d need to at a minimum add playout and encoders for unique ABC SD feeds for each market needing local news, separately distribute those feeds (rather than putting a single version per state as currently), monitor each of them.

The commercial operators already have that in place - for commercials - so it’s far less of an incremental cost to put local news in.

Plus, for cost reasons would almost certainly be done just like regional commercial TV - presented pre-recorded in a single studio far away, almost certainly not adding much.

I think the ABC have a potential role in performing joint ventures with the regional commercial operators - it might be viable to have journalists in more towns, or to have more ‘same day’ news coverage if they were covering radio and online for ABC and TV for WIN; but the ABC should bring back Stateline if they think there’s a lack of regional reporting.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed over the last week that Hannah McEwan has now been removed from all Facebook and social media graphics. It will be interesting to see if she makes the return to Queensland bulletins.

It will be very disappointing if she doesn’t.

We don’t see enough meteorologists on TV news bulletins nowadays, so it’d be a big shame to see one replaced by a journalist, just because they wanted to centralise operations to NSW

3 Likes

For the NNSW noodle updates, they must break the markets into four: Newcastle/Hunter, Coffs & Mid North, New England, and Gold Coast.

From Facebook uploads:

4 Likes

I think Kristy Coulcher is a much better presenter than Kate Fotheringham, she looks more relaxed and has a better presenting style.

I have to say though, Kate did well with her on location reporting from the Tamworth Country Music Festival and seems better suited to reporting.

2 Likes