WIN News

Do metro stations have a local content quota? Might not be a bad idea.

Ten isn’t the best example as their advertising representation is mostly outsourced, but here is how Seven/Prime manage things: http://regionalinsights.com.au/contact

1 Like

Considering they all have local news seven days a week, don’t think it’s really required.

I think the other stations may operate slightly differently to the Seven/Prime arrangement.
For Nine/WIN, WIN had their own staff located in Nine’s offices who looked after national sales for the regionals, including NBN. SCA now look after this for NBN.
WIN’s national staff moved into the Ten offices in most cities to continue this under the Ten affiliation.

However, even under those different arrangement, I’m sure some sales are managed as a whole for metro and regional.

The main concern would be for program sponsorship. Sponsors of shows that receive in-program advertising would be very upset if the audience suddenly dropped from the show not being shown in regional areas.

1 Like

And it should be pointed out that despite the name 7 Affiliate Sales, this is not in anyway controlled by 7. The metros don’t book or control advertising for the regionals, but both sales organisations will cooperate for some campaigns and direct advertisers to the other party when necessary (as they are co-located in the same building anyway.)
The metro sales organisation shouldn’t make any promises to advertisers about coverage to regional audiences, unless that is what has been organised with the affiliate sales group. This was one of the factors in the beginning of the Nine/Win rift, when Nine were placing in-program sponsorships in programs for which Win received no revenue. One should remember that the regionals and metros are in competition with each other when it comes to trying to get revenue., trying to convince advertisers that, this time, they should spend a greater proportion on their market sector. Some advertisers are notorious for not spending in the correct metro/regional proportions.

1 Like

True, was thinking beyond news like those events suggested, Summernats, Midsumma, local sport, does Southern Cross still do Targa Tasmania?
Events which would be niche at best nationally.

1 Like

It is a partnership between Prime Media Group and Seven West Media. You’ll notice 7 Queensland is included as an affiliate which is part of the Seven Network proper.

These sorts of agreements only work if big ticket programming is set in stone for the year ahead - so I would be surprised if any affiliate suddenly switched prime time programmes on a whim.

And yes, Gordon’s hissy fit over Kerri-Anne’s advertorials is a very good illustration of how important it is to have these agreements iron-clad. Though television has changed an awful lot since then - daytime audiences are nowhere near as big.

Or at least syndicate it over WTV, 44 Adelaide and C31 if the Commercial Networks can’t be bothered.

HSV Seven, the ‘Community Network’ or it was ten years ago

IIRC, Seven have cut down on their ‘Local Community Programming’ with the loss of the AFL Grand Final Parade.

Here’s a clip of some Saturday afternoon local TV gold from Canberra in 1987.

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/latest/birdman-lake-burley-griffin

1 Like

Media Buyers buy TV spots on Metro and Regionals completely separately. The buying systems are linked in to the TV Networks though and are updated every day to reflect ratings/timeslot changes. Because of this, if WIN was to change a Primetime program, the TV Buyer would know about it prior and could move out of the particular program and into something different if they thought it wouldn’t get the ratings they needed. On the other hand if they stayed in the new program and it rates a lot less than it means WIN has to make up the TARPS with makegoods.

3 Likes

Not really
 they are still heavily committed to local content in that city. Is has increased over the 10 years.

I totally agree with you, I think the point that Andrew Lancaster was trying to make is if they are paying twice, it makes some providers consider whether they should or shouldn’t eg direct and indirect costs versus how much revenue they will make.

We must consider back when he said that, WIN was the Nine affiliate.

I also think that WIN could use some of their Crawfords back catalogue of TEN programs to avoid duplication of shows such as repeats of Raymond in the afternoons and evenings on 11

5 Likes

Yep - that’s the point I made too. We all agree.

The equation for creating a local programme to be pasted ‘on top’ of a metro programme you’ve already paid for would be:

Viability = revenue per thousand viewers of metro programming + net increase in revenue per thousand for local programme - production cost of local programme.

You’d want to be number one in the timeslot to bother with a non-prime time regional programme, and at least number two for prime time. Prime7 has been successful with their Ray Martin specials in this regard.

So, the argument for a localised programme would be that you can actually get more people to watch TV in that market than they would otherwise - as they are attracted by the programme. This only works if you’re capable of making a good programme!

3 Likes

Exclusive

1 Like

WIN’s Central Queensland sports journalist Tim Klingner was in Mackay over the weekend covering the WBBL matches played at Harrup Park. I’m surprised they bothered sending anyone up to cover the games, it’s a 7.5 hour round trip for something that has little significance to the local region where the bulletin airs.

2 Likes

It will probably appear on the “All Australian News” too.

A good example of this is was the local production of ‘The Love Shack’ in Tasmania on WIN. This programme displaced the 5.30pm Saturday programme and ran for 6 weeks. It was the # one programme for it’s timeslot in Hobart for the duration.

2 Likes

Riverina montage:

4 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: TV History