General TV History

I would say so. Also because Bendigo had Channel 8 since 1961 so it didn’t have the same legacy that certain Gippsland households had by having 7, 9 and 10 for almost 20 years.

1 Like

Yes, when I.was last in country VIC there were certainly significantly fewer Melbourne TV masts in Bendigo than Warragul or even Traralgon.

As for other country markets, Ballarat had quite a few Melb TV masts, but almost none in Sale or Shepparton.

2 Likes

Thanks for those interesting links - explains how the switch filter was implemented.

Actually, the Illawarra got their “three channels” at the same time as Canberra from March 31, 1989.

3 Likes

Yes, I believe it was a politically motivated move to bring aggregation forward by nine months for Wollongong and Canberra. However, the same couldn’t be done for the rest of Southern NSW as Capital stated that they weren’t ready to do so.

Conversely, it was proposed in 1991 that Northern NSW was to get a watered down version of aggregation to start with. From 1 January 1992, Prime was to expand to Newcastle only, NBN to all regions except Gold Coast and NRTV to no other regions. Full expansion wasn’t to happen until June 1992 (I think).

But what ended up happening was that NBN and NRTV did expand everywhere from 1/1/1992, only Prime was delayed into Coffs to Gold Coast, which began on 30th April 1992.

1 Like

I just had a look at some promos for this on You Tube. Was this programme shown outside of Tassie? Nice example of local television that could be syndicated.

I remember watching K-TV in the 80s which was made by Tas TV (now WIN) and syndicated to mainland networks. Pretty much a Tassie version of Kidz News (from WIN-4) and C’mon Kids (from NWS-9). Though even in those days my brother and I much preferred Double Dare on Ten.

2 Likes

From memory it aired in Tasmania on Sunday afternoon and was replayed nationally across the WIN Network the following Saturday afternoon.

Their website says Season 2 is coming soon, but given the socials for the programme haven’t been updated since 2016 it is safe to assume this hasn’t come to fruition?

1 Like

Don’t know if it was widely networked before aggregation but going by closing credit it mentions in association with Southern Cross TV8 Network which at that stage was made up from STV-8 Mildura, BCV-8 Bendigo, and GVL-8 Gippsland.

1 Like

It was a co-production between Tas TV (TNT9 / TVT6) and the above mentioned TV8 stations in Victoria in the mid to late 80’s. The show was produced at TVT but segments for the show were compiled at TNT and TV8 stations for inclusion.

1 Like

Maybe they could produce a new show based on KTV and Kids News for 11.

K-TV was shown on WIN TV in NSW after aggregation there (which occurred in 89). I watched it in Canberra.

I remember seeing it in WA around that time too, but I’m not sure what channel.

Took a lot of scanning, but I finally found KTV in a Canberra TV guide on WIN in November 1989. At this time aggregation had only happened in Canberra (Riverina, Central West and Illawarra got their “three channels” in 1990). I have no idea how the Canberra schedules for Prime and WIN compared to their ‘home markets’. I imagine Riv, CW and Illawarra continued to have a bit of a cherry pick of the networks until agg came online - so people wouldn’t miss out on A Country Practice and Neighbours.

1 Like

Well there you go. You see my point though - what was the Prime schedule like in markets outside of Cbr.

I have read it was Riverina and CW that were delayed due to ‘technical’ difficulties. Certainly Prime had its studios up and running in Canberra in 1988 - they couldn’t wait to expand. I’ll see if I can dig up the Canberra Times piece, I read it again only recently.

1 Like

Here we go. The government wanted 31 March all along. CTC wanted it to be the end of 1989. CW and Riverina delayed due to lack of transmitters.

2 Likes

According to this piece from 1988, Illawarra wasn’t going to get Capital until the end of 89. Though I haven’t read what happened by the time March 89 rolled around. For Network Ten, who owned CTC, there was limited incentive to spend money on transmitters when most residents of the Illawarra could get TEN from Sydney anyway.

2 Likes

I remember seeing this on TV. Pretty sure it was at home in Sydney. Not sure which channel had it.

If it wasn’t at home, I might’ve seen it at school. Still remember the teacher wheeling out a big TV once a week so we could watch BTN on tape, and other educational goodies.

KTV was picked up by the Nine Network

WIN Tasmania also produced Good Sports