WIN News

Highly doubtful that will happen. Nine tried that with southern cross and it didn’t work. I much doubt Nine will Experiment with that idea again

As far as I’m aware NEC the owner of Nine has no plans to purchase or merge with WIN at this stage.

How did it not work? And are you referring to the format with the local news, sport and weather windows or the statewide format?

they dont need to. They are on record as saying they have all the benefits without the cost. I know 9 are not overly wrapt with what WIN does for them in a news sense, so something might change there. Much like 9 taking on WIN sales staff, they may in the future take over the news side of things as well. Who knows?!! If only we had a crystal ball

Im referring to both. If it worked well there wouldn’t be any reason to change the format. Look at NBN News

WIN has appeared to change their mic flags.

4 Likes

9 have also appeared to have updated their mic flags today.

3 Likes

the stickers are wonky :grimacing:

doesn’t improve the coverage though.

3 Likes

Spent last night in the Illawarra and caught up with the local WIN News bulletin.

It felt like it was 1987 to match the surroundings of my motel room.

Where was the live crosses to reporters or even fake “look lives”? There was a random Bulldogs story (even though this is Saints territory?) and what’s with Bruce Roberts looking off camera every few seconds?

The weather presenter could have been on location at Wollongong Harbour to give it a local feel.

Reporters seemed fine and didn’t sound “green”. Perhaps they put those ones in other markets?

This is supposedly the flagship bulletin for the WIN network and there’s nothing exciting.

Prime7 have worked it out. Local News doesn’t need to be boring.

9 Likes

Not when there is no money. There is no excess revenue being generated to reinvest in expansion of news, brand etc like they had previously. I wouldn’t be surprised to see bulletins replaced by noodle updates if the ad market tanks.

2 Likes

The former Bulldogs coach is a local boy who played for the Dragons.

Can’t have the weather presenter at Wollongong Harbour when he also churns out weather reports for WIN’s bulletins outside the south coast.

They seldom do “look live” crosses to reporters on location. They sometimes cross to a reporter in the WIN newsroom or parking lot.

Even though it’s WIN’s home market, the bulletin is padded out with reports from outside the area. They seldom use locality names in supers, such as when they do interviews at schools about education issues, to con the viewer into thinking the report is “local”. The same NAPLAN report last week would’ve gone out across multiple markets.

You only have to Google the names of the reporters to see where they are based and where the reports are done.

2 Likes

Thanks that explains a bit.

I just feel there’s nothing which screams “we’re local from Mt Saint Thomas” in the entire bulletin. I’ve read here that the bulletin isn’t even live anymore?

Little touches like an intro “From our Wollongong studios this is WIN News”, more crosses and crosses from WIN Stadium when there’s a Saints game would make viewers think they’re still relevant?

Yes TV is dying as a medium and TV local news will probably disappear eventually but Prime7 proves there’s still life there if there’s effort.

5 Likes

exactly right, Prime do live crosses every night into yes a pre recorded bulletin, sometimes 2 a night. WIN has chosen a production way which limits any potential for doing anything other than tape packages and vision over reader voice over. VERY boring, very safe. They havent taken a risk for years. Once was a proud regional news provider, not just a bit of a joke. Even their own sales staff don’t push their local news. Im sure the 9 brand are embarrassed about it as well. the only highlight is that they produce in HD and thats a major downfall of PRIME.

2 Likes

Been doing it for years, even back in the Ballarat days.

1 Like

His off-camera glances have gotten worse since he moved to Wollongong. I think he thinks it makes his presentation style look sophisticated or something. If he did it occasionally and didn’t try and get a full sentence out before looking into the camera then it would be fine

6 Likes

When I watch the bulletin it makes me think he’s watching a monitor for his cue to start talking, but he’s missed it. But the thing is he does it nearly every item, not only that but he looks away at the end of items too.

But if he was hypothetically missing cues surely they would edit his pieces a bit tighter?

1 Like

Even the OTS graphics are a throwback to another era. When was the last time you saw that many job ads in print media?

7 Likes

Or when was the last time you looked in print media for jobs at all? Most people look online these days.

4 Likes

Maybe the idea is that he’s watching the end of the last report from the monitor, then looking at the monitor for the next report?

2 Likes