Watermarks

Why are watermarks even useful, anyways?

The best contemporary watermark on FTA was the one that Seven had around 2011-12 IIRC. It was very small and was as far in the bottom right corner as you could get it, though the stupid frozen lens flare effect it had was distracting.

3 Likes

They were doing it as far back as 1993, at least in the Canberra market:

One really has to wonder what these viewers who rang into complain would think of watermarking “efforts” from 2017 like WIN’s solid coloured brickmarks and the In-Program Promotional Watermarks that all commercial networks generally partake in these days!

Maybe watermarks were useful back in the old days of analogue whenever you had to manually tune a TV set, but they’re fairly pointless now with Digital TV and their associated LCN names.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say that LCNs and digital TV make watermark’s useless. TV’s originally had channel number indicators so that was when there wasn’t a need to ID the station especially when there were just 5 options. But now with a lot more channels, no channel number readouts on TVs plus the sometimes a lack of any obvious association between the channel and the LCN e.g., 9Gem, 9Go, ABC Me (plus regionals) it makes some sense to ID the channel.

3 Likes

The Footy Show’s pointless watermark

7 Likes

The biggest use of watermarks is to make sure the original broadcaster is credited if another network decides to show their footage for some reason.

I also find it useful to have the channel identified - especially when I don’t have access to the remote to bring up the channel info (e.g. Watching a communal tv) - however a small, very transparent logo right in the corner achieves that perfectly.

5 Likes

Not sure that’s it. It’s branding and ownership of the product.

When you fly a plane, you see the airline logo everywhere. When you buy socks or clothes or sheets - the logo is stitched on. When you get takeaway food - logos. Shopping bags. Logos.

Most companies want to “brand” whatever the product is with their logo.

Phones, watches, sunglasses, hats, cars, electronics…

It’s just branding your product to constantly reinforce the brand if you are a user of the product.

3 Likes

I remember complaining to WIN and Prime back in the 90’s about there watermarks. Both pretty much replied back similar responses that they had to carry these for copyright reasons.
Even WIN had a little gold logo with dots back in the 90’s it’s a shame how big they all are now.

The Fox Sports logos these days are pretty annoying at times as well. Live HD No AD breaks Ch no, it’s a bit much these days.

3 Likes

I really don’t think it’s copyright either… that’s just a convenient excuse, as TV stations themselves usually don’t own copyright, they just have the rights to air the show.

Its for what @KICK-IT said, branding. But the branding needs to be suitably styled. Could you imagine anyone buying a Toyota if they stuck great big fugly logos on the bonnet of their cars? WIN has gone the wrong way about it here, this is more likely to cost them viewers and then advertisers.

4 Likes

I can’t see what copyright has to do with watermarks as there are networks like HBO and BBC 1 that often don’t use watermarks.

2 Likes

And Southern Cross Television GTS/BKN & Tasmania also don’t use watermarks on the main channel.

2 Likes

What program was this? Never seen the network watermark in the top-right (only the sport one). HD too!?

Yep always thought the copyright line was just an excuse as well. Not that its legal but if you download US shows most have no watermarks on them and are in HD. :smirk:

5 Likes

For the collection.

3 Likes

An on WIN

2 Likes

So 2009 :yum:

It looks like the Modern Family logo was taken straight from the promo ender. Dodge!

3 Likes

From what I can tell, Bruce was in Australia last year for six months from December to May. Assuming it’s a regular thing he does where he comes here for five months and 29 days and returns to Bermuda to live for half a year plus one day, it might go a long way to explaining why so much of this shit has been happening over the past few months.

He’s in the country right now. Bruce regularly takes the train from his home at Circular Quay to WIN in Wollongong. Anyone want to scope out which train he takes and cover the train windows with Transport for NSW logos to see how he likes it?

13 Likes

I’d put a great big Channel Nine logo in his face :joy:

13 Likes