Watermarks

All these big and bold promo watermarks are shit and make me switch off those channels. The networks never learn.

1 Like

Is that NTFL match of the week? It should be promoted more prominently so that interstate footy fans know when the match is on.

I just love the expression on Hanks’ face at the time you took the pic, so fitting!

1 Like

HD watermark on Ten HD during the Australia Day concert.

The watermark has now been fixed.

4 Likes

Surprised to see that SEQ doesn’t incorrectly get the “live” watermark tonight - we often do on a variety of programs.

5 Likes

QLD, SA, NT and WA was on delay and hence the watermark was transparent and placed in the bottom right hand corner.

1 Like

ten should use that watermark during sports rather than the “LIVE & FREE” thing they have.

1 Like

In-Program Promotional Watermark for MKR on Seven:

8 Likes

Earlier error

6 Likes

ONE Watermark during BBL replay

3 Likes

I was in a hotel on the south coast a few hours ago picking up my vast winnings from yesterday’s punt. One of the televisions was still tuned to WIN, obviously left on that channel from last night’s cricket as they usually have them all showing sport. I had a chuckle to myself when I noticed half the captions on Studio 10’s supers were obscured by mappy. I had an even bigger laugh when I looked at that screen again when an ad was playing and old mappy was burnt into the bottom right corner of the screen! It was very noticeable when the background was white.

I dearly hope WIN start getting legal claims from viewers who are having their televisions ruined by that thing.

7 Likes

Better tune the 10yr old TV at the holiday house to WIN then :wink:

1 Like

The more text that goes under the blue map the better, maybe it will one day force someone to realise that its a problem and make the thing opaque again. It really can’t get any worse, well maybe Bruce Gordon will want it full size in the centre of the screen next I guess that could be worse!

Please, no! Dunno about you but the more transparent a watermark, the better. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

hahaha oops yes I meant to say not Opaque, agree the more transparent the better.

2 Likes

That TV is probably an old plasma. They were notorious for burn in issues, particularly the early models, and plasmas haven’t been sold in Australia for about 5 years now.

The watermark / plasma issues were certainly much more prevalent say 10 years ago, and there have been numerous cases of this (even NBN News had a plasma on their set which had their own NBN News logo burned into it!).

But I’ve never heard of anyone successfully suing a network for a replacement TV for it.

LCD and LED TVs don’t have such issues (or not to the same extent, it would take at least several hours of the same image being on screen continuously for there to be any sort of issue).

4 Likes

I heard many years ago because of burn-in watermarks would perioeically be moved to a slightly different position, and that was with actual watermarks (you know the translucent things), let alone the solid blue evil that is mappy!

3 Likes

And that would be a strategy also used to upset certain regional networks that would insist on cover ups!

4 Likes

The movement IIRC was achieved by the TV itself; that moved the image on the screen by a few pixels to avoid the burn in issue. Worth noting though that if you think of it there are far worse static images that are on screen such as the background of crawlers etc on news networks that are present for potentially longer than the WIN watermark.

2 Likes

They would all be on TV for the same length of time… ie. from ad break to ad break.

Though ad free channels like ABC News 24 would be worse.

1 Like