Watermarks

Sports watermarks have pretty much always been in the top right of the screen since the very first in the mid-late 1990s. Making sure that network logos are still clearly seen on news bulletins (and other programing) whenever highlights are played, as well as the fact that the scoreboard and similar graphics are more often than not displayed at the bottom of the screen are most likely the reasons why.

And yeah, I believe that Seven were the first to use the “Live & Free” tagline as part of their Sport “watermark” and promotion, before Ten and Nine followed suit. Presumably it was an idea from Free TV Australia, Freeview or someone else in the business of promoting free to air TV which all three major commercial networks are a part of.

4 Likes

You should write complaints - physically send them a letter. Or to reach WIN’s level of tech - fax them.

13 Likes

[quote=“Moe, post:1175, topic:252, full:true”]

[quote=“Zampakid, post:1170, topic:252, full:true”]
No point writing a complaint, they always ignore viewers tweets…
[/quote]Or to reach WIN’s level of tech - fax them.
[/quote]Truth be known, that’s probably still a little too advanced for the good folks at WIN. Perhaps doing something like Bruce used to do in the good ol’ days? Give it a shot it might work. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

I didn’t think WIN’s level of tech extended that far even … I was thinking more like a message in a bottle.

2 Likes

I was going to suggest a letter on parchment, but perhaps a chiselled stone tablet hand delivered on horseback?

1 Like

GWN7 using a bizarrely small 7 sports watermark during Hopman Cup coverage tonight.

10 Likes

Same on Prime7 (of course).
This is a (not quite so) hastily made one after Prime7 (& I assume GWN7) had just the “Live & Free |” but no 7 logo there all day yesterday.
I’m guessing someone quickly cut and recoloured it from the 7TWO (or perhaps the 7mate) version. Still surprised they couldn’t have done this yesterday.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s meant to look like this?

9 Likes

Nah (but a fair idea), if they wanted to they could’ve done that (or maybe a smaller wide version because it doesn’t need to fit HD), but I guess either MediaHub &/or Prime7 dropped the ball/weren’t prepared for Seven to not have the 7 logo on the clean feed.

Weird, because Prime were able to insert the proper LIVE & FREE | 7 watermark for the Olympics - they used it on all three channels even! I guess it didn’t get transferred over to MediaHub.

Yeah it is a bit odd. Prime have been inserting a 7 sports watermark/getting a clean sports feed for years so they should have known.

I would have put the GWN above the 7 (so that it reads GWN7, not 7GWN).

And a Prime 7 version of that wouldn’t have worked as “Prime” in that space would look too small as to be illegible.

1 Like

Changing channels between Prime7 & 7TWO showed me I was wrong about recolouring (perhaps that would’ve been too tricky for whoever); the size and blank space makes me think it’s a cut-down version of the 7 Olympic rings logo.

I suppose some mistakes are to be expected with the outsourcing to MediaHub, but it certainly doesn’t look great; plus it’s frustrating both of these tennis events are currently on SD channels while the HD 7mate shows…other stuff.

Nothing really suggests it was cut from the Olympics version. The 7 was full size in that version and the rings were below the bottom of the line separator. I’ve only got a 7mate screenshot handy, but you get the idea:

As you said, someone has probably just mistakenly sized it like that. We can see how easy that can be with the recent ABC HD watermark errors. Also errors in communication or not being briefed on the proper style guide can be other factors.

2 Likes

OK, I give up! (LOL)

1 Like

[quote=“TV-ACT, post:1180, topic:252, full:true”]

Same on Prime7 (of course)[/quote]No issues here earlier this evening via SC. Usual ‘Live & Free | 7’ watermark added to the provided clean feed.

That’s interesting. Do you know why SC would’ve gone to the effort of putting 7’s logo instead of their own? (A contractual requirement?)

Pretty sure they’ve been doing that for sport for a while now.

2 Likes

I had assumed 7 weren’t providing a feed without the 7 logo on it (much like the 9WWOS logo WIN were covering up for years!)

Seven provides a clean feed to both Prime and SCTV, although this year appears to be the first time they’ve provided the Live & Free component of the watermark.