Watermarks

Nine & Ten don’t use anywhere near as many watermarks.

For starters, sport watermark is the same across all channels (as opposed to a different one and respective colour for Ch 7, 7Two & 7mate).

Let alone all the add-ons and regional affiliates.

But live events?

Watermarks would still be automatically triggered by going to/returning from an ad break.

6 Likes

I was meaning when a telecast finishes and the next program begins, including the watermark.

Don’t see how that could be automated.

1 Like

Badly, but that’s what several of the networks are they’re doing, as evidenced by when the sport watermark is prematurely replaced by the standard one (MediaHub with Prime7 a few months ago comes to mind).

That is still automated.

The server would be programmed to show a sport watermark during a sports programme, and then as soon as that finishes and playout begins an entertainment programme, the script would switch the watermark.

You underestimate how much modern playout systems don’t need humans.

3 Likes

I understand a lot is automated, I mean years ago when BCM’s master control room was the back-drop for Seven News’ national bulletins.

You would only see 1 or maybe 2 people in there.

But sport runs overtime, like Seven’s AFL or the Australian Open late at night, wasn’t sure whether an operator has to do that manually.

Watermarks. Are. Not. Timed.

They rely on pings from the server based on the programme. So when the sports programme goes overtime, the next show doesn’t start. So it keeps showing the sports watermark. Only when the play out server says that the entertainment program has started, does the watermark script or whatever display the general watermark.

I can’t make it clearer

10 Likes

Glad someone knows about this stuff, thanks for explaining

Still not enough F’s

10 Likes

FFS :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

That is possibly the worst, most intrusive watermark I’ve seen thus far.

Ruining an iconic film franchise by having it fully opaque.

Obviously due to FFF :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: very poor ratings? Last ditch attempt?

2 Likes

8 Likes

Point taken.

That’s not quite as bad, it’s a tad smaller.

With the date/time attached tiny to The Wall.

Whereas date/time were plastered around the 9 watermark.

1 Like

Nine’s is worse but all commercial networks should fuck off.

This sort of rubbish was unacceptable even five years ago. The fact that it’s become normal to have solid multicoloured promotional watermarks taking up a distractingly large amount of screen real estate is just another reason why free-to-air is going to whither and die.

7 Likes

Worse from Seven

11 Likes

Yeah, I mean c’mon, it’s The Empire Strikes Back FFS, an insult :neutral_face:

7 Likes

Sorry about that.

I know it’s there from which you capped from SC Central, but last I checked, mind you this was a month or so ago now, there was none present the times that I have had 7TWO switched on during this slot (the only time I’ve ever seen it during PTV is when there has been issues on a couple of prior occasions). Weird to see it there on Central though…

1 Like

Don’t lie, @EyewitnessTV, you marathon PVR recordings of PTV. The jig is up, mate! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Interesting. Central may have been having issues the night I capped these.

1 Like

A viewer in Perth with an OzTam people meter joking how the device is digusted with Seven’s watermark as well “no viewer” :smile: LOL

9 Likes

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
Is it any wonder why more and more people are tuning out of FTA to watch their favourite programmes via other means these days when they’re constantly subjected to these various in-your-face eyesores on a daily basis.

11 Likes