US Politics

He’s only been a journalist for 20 years or so. A veteran you might say. And I think he has shown through his other reporting that he is also above some of his more casual Today show moments.

4 Likes

Whilst I think they have been using the wrong Stefanovic, Karl is a very experienced journalist. [quote=“Abesty, post:157, topic:1886”]
Seven
[/quote]

Unusual that they used the The Daily Edition set this time round.

2 Likes

Fixed that for you, since that’s the main newsreader Nine usually turn to for much of their major news coverage for a national audience! :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t watch Nine’s coverage this time but did catch Karl for the second debate and didn’t think his particular style suited the occasion. I thought he was too frivolous and didn’t seem to be taking the event very seriously. As well, instead of accepting the various viewpoints of the experts he had on hand, he seemed to think that his opinion should be added as well. I was also surprised when he declared a victory for Trump in that debate despite the overwhelming reaction of the rest of the world.

1 Like

Overton would have been fine too, but wasn’t he away during the last debate? IMO, Nine should be sending Pete Stefanovic back to the US to cover the election given his experience alongside of course Robert Penfold.

1 Like

Musher had to use The Daily Edition set for the introduction, as Ann was using the news set for the Morning News that had just finished. Once the debate finished and they were doing analysis, he was presenting from the news set:

6 Likes

We get it, you love Peter Overton go marry him already.

Whistle on the topic, I don’t think that just because someone can make a joke and see the lighter side of life doesn’t mean he can’t be a serious journalist.

1 Like

That first cap of Nine’s wide shot is like a game of Where’s Wally.

Seven’s more restrained package works way better in these sorts of situations.

1 Like

Shouldn’t 9 be using the White House, not Congress, on their graphics?

You truly are the world’s greatest cheerleader.

Karl and Mel Doyle are in my eyes pretty much the same. Both are professional, warm, multitalented and versatile news anchors. They both did/do breakfast television for many years and thus aren’t regarded as serious journalists by some, but both of them have the chops to do it. Karl himself has proven many times to be a competent and very professional presenter with abilities beyond a simple breakfast program. The 2011 Queensland Floods for one.

But because he works at Nine and perhaps doesn’t come from Melbourne… well he must be bad then, right?

6 Likes

Except, ya know, just the Washington Post. No biggie.

Trump won the third debate

Donald Trump won tonight’s debate. He didn’t implode, he didn’t blither, he didn’t continually interrupt Hillary Clinton and he didn’t even sniff much. And, frankly, he had the best retorts and one-liners. Clinton was on her heels much of the night, and several times, she had to reset by resorting to tired, hollow platitudes — which only drove home the point that she lacks authenticity and appears to be a typical politician who is therefore dishonest.

Anyway, everyone will have different viewpoints because of course no one ‘wins’ any debate - but your reaction of surprise is very puzzling considering Hillary very often evaded the moderator’s question, or quickly shifted to baiting Trump. It was a poor performance from her. Of course, if you read overwhelming reaction on brainless twitter, than you may have saw something else. Luckily Karl isn’t that dopey.

I was talking about the second debate.

The second debate was also widely perceived as being very good for Trump after a shocking first debate.

No it wasn’t.

1 Like

Compared to what though? They grade Trump way differently than any other candidate ever because of how insane and idiotic his performances are. It’s like well he didn’t call her a bitch and fart on stage - so a good night for him!

1 Like

Trump blamed his sniffing sound during the first debate on a bad microphone, but he sniffed during the second and third debates. Curiously he has blamed the microphone again.

See this is the type of nonsense that enters the discussion about who won a particular debate etc.

Hillary literally had snot running down her nose in the third debate. She had to wipe it away with her hand. Watch it. Yet, Donald has a problem?

Ridiculous.

1 Like

Yes it was. I mean, blind Freddie could see that he got himself up again after the very poor first debate.