TV Week

Are they putting any effort into TV Week these days?

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like it. They used to do a refresh of the sections and the graphics every two years. It’s looked the same for years now. I still don’t understand why they have been using a lopsided TV Week logo on the cover for the last few years.

They should get whoever was designing their covers ten years ago to come back. TV Week had some of the most appealing covers of any magazine in Australia back then.

4 Likes

I miss the logo they used back in the late 80s.

1 Like

I suspect as little money as possible goes into the publication, can’t imagine the sales numbers are any good - personally I’m still surprised it hasn’t been shut down, but I’m guessing the promotional consideration by Seven for H&A must mean it’s cost neutral or making a slim profit.

Apparently TV Week is profitable as a low-cost model where they can often rely on supplied photos / PR, etc. unlike, say, the higher end magazines or Women’s Weekly where they have more custom photo shoots and features/interviews and that sort of thing.

It really needs to be brought more into the digital space though but there never seems to be any push towards doing so.

2 Likes

TV Week’s website - tvweek.com.au is less that average. It pretty much links to their nowtolove.com.au website with a tv week section. Compared to other tv websites (like this one we are on now :slight_smile: , tvtonight and tvblackbox to name a few), tv weeks site fails miserably.

Their Facebook is alright. Not sure of their other social media sites though.

Their use of Twitter is very sporadic. They revive it every now and then but sometimes it just relays clickbait to stories on Now To Love, not specific to TV Week.

which is partly TV Week’s own fault. Because it hasn’t claimed the digital space it’s left it wide open for other sites like TV Blackbox, TV Tonight, etc. to fill that market for immediate and daily TV news and information.

2 Likes

Great to see Barry Du Bois on the cover of TV Week’s first issue for 2023.

3 Likes

A TV Week without Home and Away on the cover? What is this world?

According to Wiki, Bridie Carter has had 3 separate stints on HAA, the last being in 2021. So you could imagine the story being “Why I was terrified…of not being asked back to HAA” :joy:

1 Like

The first issue of 2023 is actually not too bad.

There’s 3.5 pages to The Project. Interviews with Waleed and Sarah regarding the shows changing hosts. Followed by half a page of news regarding switching hosts to Today, A Current Affair and Sunrise (being Katie Brown joining as roving reporter). It’s not often there’s a column of “news” in the mag these days, since its usually just plot-lines for upcoming dramas and comedies.

Three pages devoted to Barry Du Bois. And two pages to The Chase and the chasers.

Will be interesting if 7 Bravo is added to the guide next week. And if there’s a guide upgrade.

Some channels can get moved to a fifth page (the “pay tv” section goes from 2 pages to 1 or 1.5 pages?). Smaller channels like ABC News, NITV, SBS Movies and SBS WorldWatch can move to the pay tv sections, and have their font size smaller perhaps. SBS can join the page where the other four main channels are. So some channels can finall have a full column listing (10 Peach, 10 Bold, 9 Life, 9 Rush).

1 Like

Their FB is dreadful. The banner is from 2017, and the page still lists Bauer Media as being their owner!

Aside from the constant flood of Home & Away stories, there’s a whole bunch of “stories” that just keep getting reposted every week or so (McLeod’s Daughters reunion / “where are they now” as an example). Not uncommon for a story to even be posted two or three times a day.

And in the last day or so, there’s been a series of lifestyle posts that have zero relevance to TV at all - dog health, summer outfits, skin-car, electric cars, aromatherapy, and so on.

2 Likes

It’s back!

1 Like

“11 pages” :yawning_face:

1 Like

And horrible screen capture photos for the cover again. Ugh!

Didn’t bother buying the last overloaded H&A issue which offered not much else. I might give this issue a miss too.

the joy of a subscription is that i pay a reduced cover price, the drawback is that I get every issue regardless and don’t have the option to knock any back

2 Likes

A double whammy - with “Home and Away season return”, and also “Home and Away turns 35” featuring on the cover. Will see how many times this year that the mag will celebrate it’s 35 years? I say at least 35 times :stuck_out_tongue:

On a side note - the TV Guide has been updated :slight_smile:
Page 1: ABC Plus (whole column), ABC Me + ABC News (shared column), SBS Viceland (whole), SBS Food (whole), SBS Movies + NITV (shared)
Page 2: The 5 main channels (SBS, ABC, 7, 9, 10 - whole column each)
Page 3: 10 Peach, 10 Bold, 10 Shake (finally get a whole column each), 7Two (whole), 7Mate (whole)
Page 4: 7flx (whole), 7Bravo + 9Rush (shared), 9Gem (whole), 9Go (whole), 9life (returns to whole column)

1 Like

So the Main channels are squeezed up on the one page now to provide an extra column for the new Digitals.

I think they need to look at redesigning the guide layout to provide more info for programs. Maybe widen the columns and remove the double borders between channels. Make the start time slightly smaller, which will then reduce some wasted space too.

1 Like

As much as I detest these, it’s technically not a screen grab - they would be episodic publicity stills. :+1:

Yes, the guide does look a bit tight. Id also have the starting times move more to the left and have less borders between each channel, to widen the columns. The guide still has “morning programs” on some channels, including the ABC and 10, where there’s no room to have some show titles listed.