TV Week

It will be interesting late tonight to see how the new edition of TV Week will handle the change on its listings for the Friday, 1 July.

No doubt it will be a mess and a complete cock-up as Emma Nolan seems disinterested in fixing any listing issue - god knows we've complained to her enough in recent months and still nothing gets done.

What’s the change on Friday 1 July?

I agree the listings have so many problems. 9Lfe and 7flix share the same column and only half listed. Still nothing listed for SBS food or NITV.

Obligatory photographs at the top every channel, yet there isn’t room in some columns so we just get Late Programs, Children’s Programs or Daytime Programs to cover chunks of programming.

at the moment WIN and NBN share a column with NBN’s listings being limited to a tiny section down the bottom.

I think you can figure the rest out… :wink:

Nolan and her cronies have been told multiple times now that NBN is also in HD on 80 but they still don’t bother changing it. They had it correct when both stations started in HD in March and then they quickly changed it back to the erroneous listing.

click on image to get the full rundown.

so in the new magazine WIN/TEN is listed from July 1 and NINE/NBN as well. NBN now primarily has their HD channel number. Well done TV Week. One small issue - the old NBN logo doesn't really exist anymore outside of news :slight_smile:

1 Like

...although considering that even Nine themselves are seemingly unaware that the station is (sort of) being branded as 9NBN, I think we can let TV Week off the hook! :slight_smile:

In the new issue she acknowledges reader feedback in her column and there have been some further changes to the TV Guide and the layout of the whole magazine. She may be addressing your complaint in particular.

I had given them some feedback about the guide too and it looks like mine have been taken on board too. :smiley: They now have a full column for 7flix and 9Life and have also introduced SBS Food Network. Only NITV is still missing.

To accommodate the changes, they have dropped the daily highlights we had within the guide. However, they have introduced a new “Best of the Week” section at the front of the magazine and along with “Must See Moments”, they now seem to have comprehensive coverage of what is happening with most shows. This is good because we shouldn’t have double ups within the same issue now, which was happening a lot with the old format. It’s also more like the magazine was about five plus years back when they covered all the shows so much better and in depth.

3 Likes

thanks for that - they still really need to do the guide in a grid format similar to TV Guide US though - much more simpler to read and understand.

one thing they need to fix up - the listing known as "WIN" - needs to be "WIN/Ten"

No worries. Sorry can’t agree with you on that format. I wouldn’t like that at all. They were using that in the MX newspaper and I just couldn’t get used to it.

I’m used to the Australian/British/European format that we have always had.

Yeah I’m not a huge fan of the grid format either. Given there’s 24 hours in a day that’s a lot of hours to fit into a page… even over 2 pages. The MX guide was only 6 hours (6pm to 12mn) and that took up the whole page of a tabloid.

Can't see them trying the grid format when so many other publications in the past have failed with it. I suppose it has been 15-20 years since the likes of The Australian's Media section or the Green Guide tried it...

TV Week has a bit of a makeover this week with changes to section titles, fonts and some layouts.

Looks like Matt Le Nevez is their new golden boy. He appears on the cover again this week with Asher Keddie for Offspring after appearing twice in the last month with Jessica Marais for Love Child. At least we're getting a bit of a reprieve from Home & Away dominating all the covers over the past two years with that show's popularity waning.

Thanks to TV Week’s subscription department my copy for this week covers regional Victoria so here’s a glimpse at how TV Week is covering the state since the WIN/Southern Cross changeover, and it seems still accounting for channels from South Australia coming over the border into Victoria, e.g. Seven SA (WIN).

For some reason though “Nine” was listed on Saturday with the “9HD” logo and channel ID 50 but from Sunday onwards has the normal 9 logo and channel IDs 5 and 51, although they’d not adjusted the footnote at the bottom of the listing accordingly.

4 Likes

Another Home And Away cover for TV Week.... drink.... :beer:

I bet you Erin McWhirter left TV Week because she could never get Emma Nolan's job (I seem to recall she went on leave during 2010?)

[Sorry, just saw the start of this thread]

1 Like

This week’s edition of TV Week is a double issue with TV listings for the Christmas / New Year fortnight. Has the magazine been rested over Christmas before?

Woman’s Day this week is also a double issue.

The only double issue of TV Week I can recall was 1979, when the 29.12.1979 and 5.1.1980 issues were combined.

1 Like

The double issue cost extra too, $5.99 instead of $4.99. Except the Coles Express where I usually buy it still scanned it at 4.99 so I did not pay extra.