Classic TV Listings

Todays TV: 22 July 2005, Perth
Source: The West Australian

The SBS screened The Ashes between England and Australia. I noticed that former Australian Cricketer Michael Slater commentated on The Ashes. I wonder if this was Slater’s first commentary stint in his career. As I noticed on the Guide, SBS took the Channel 4 feed.
I noticed during the Ashes Telecast, SBS screened the Stage 19 of Tour de France. I wondered whether this period was during Tea Time?

3 Likes

Didn’t he used to do commentary for Fox Sports?

1 Like

For the sport that isn’t football :wink:

4 Likes

Today’s TV:

22.7.1993, Melbourne

22.7.1998, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 26 July 2016, Regional Victoria
Source: TV Week

5 Likes

I thought I’d seen this before! TV Week - #35 by TelevisionAU

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 26 July 2004, Perth

i remembered back in 2004, Channel 10 having encores of Neighbours at 11:30am just before the Midday News. I wondered how long the MIdday News experiment last. Sadly, it didn’t rate well and had to shift back to 11:30am. I also noticed that encore of Judge Judy aired in its 8:30am timeslot with a PG rating.

4 Likes

Actually in 2004 that 11.30am slot was early episodes of Neighbours rather than an encore of the previous night’s episode. In previous years Ten were showing early episodes 3.30pm Weekdays.

2 Likes

I didn’t know channel ten had the rights to champ car (now indy car) racing.

2 Likes

Yeah, for years, would always be shown delayed on a Monday night.

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 27 July 2007, Perth

I noticed that CHannel Nine logo was modified as a crown to coincide with the Dame Edna Treatment.
OVer at Channel 7, they televised a Western Bulldogs v West Coast match at 7:30pm, instead of 8:30pm. I assume that Better Homes and Gardens had to be bumped to the following night.

4 Likes

A crown?

Oh possum, that’s not a crown, they’re from her glasses.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 27 July 2006, Perth

Back then, The Ellen DeGeneres Show used to have new eps on CHannel 10 at midday in the first half of the year. But then, it was replaced by new episodes of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

2 Likes

The rights were linked in a way with the Gold Coast race. They were shown very early mornings on Channel 9 between 1991 and 1995 on either a Monday or Tuesday (often with a major league baseball game played on the other day via CBS in 1991-1993), then went to 10 from 1996-2006 shown late night Mondays (occasionally after 2 hours of Big Brother) with an occasional Saturday lunchtime replay prior to the acquisition of the AFL rights. Channel 7 covered the series in 2007 prior to the merger of ChampCar and the IRL before 2008.

A lot of the time they would take the same feed as America’s coverage headed by Paul Page or Bob Varsha on ABC (America)/ESPN prior to 2001 (starting alongside Sam Posey/Bobby Unser or Derek Daly depending on host network, then Danny Sullivan from 1996-98 and finally Parker Johnstone until 2001) but every now and again the international feed with Ben Edwards and Jeremy Shaw was used. From 2002-2006 except for 2004 they used the international feed (Leigh Diffey and Shaw in 2002, Stephen Cox and Shaw in 2003, American Spike TV feed in 2004 headed by Rick Benjamin and Tommy Kendall, then for 2005 it was Shaw joined by various others, notably James Hinchcliffe who now is in the current NBC booth). 2007 was the ESPN feed with Benjamin and Jon Beekhuis.

3 Likes

On Wheel of Fortune’s Second Last Show for Season 2006, a Tie-Breaker Occured between Jamie and New Champ Heidi who managed to Accumulate $5,625 worth of Prizes Won so far, she was then Later Beaten by Edith Bliss, a Former Field Reporter of Simon Townsend’s Wonderworls on the Final Show for the 7 Network after 25 Years. By $170 with her Final Score of $5,475, seeing Heidi leave with Prizes worth over $20,000 including the Lounge Suite worth $4,195 from Jason Furniture and the Trip to Singapore from Zuji via the Mystery Wedge worth $6,876.

Edith Bliss won the Jewellery Collection worth $4,000 from Bevilles Jewellers. After Coming very close to Spinning up the Mitsubishi Colt LS Hatchback Automatic Valued at $18,990 including On-Road Costs, because there were 3 Mitsubishi Car Wedges placed on the Golden Wheel during the Shows Final Episode and there was also a Home Appliance Package also Valued at $4,000 from Centrex (The Centre of Excellence). Then at the end of the Final Episode, the Puzzle Board says (Til We Meet Again) and it was all over and done from the 7 Network.

4 Likes

Todays TV: 28 July 2012, Perth

The 2012 Summer Olympics in London got underway on Nine/GEM. Nine and Foxtel used separate commentators. Ray Warren did swimming, Andrew Voss did weightlifting, James Brayshaw did rowing, Michael Slater/Michael Murphy did diving on Nine. Karl Stefanovic, Ken Sutcliffe and Cameron Williams host the Olympics sessions, while Mark Nicholas did the London Gold segment. I wonder whether Peter Donegan called from the Foxtel feed or via Nine?

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 29.7.1960, Melbourne

Source: TV Times

2 Likes

I imagine what was I’m front of him at the stadium?

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 30 July 2009, Perth

I noticed that WIN TV screened new episodes of Masterchef Australia in the afternoon timeslot. When Channel 10 aired new episodes of MCA three months ago, however WIN WA fell three months behind 10.

3 Likes