General TV History

From what I recall, Perth was also slow to take on the then-current branding used by Nine News nationally and on the East Coast. Wasn’t it Early 2009 when Perth changed over even though the network O&O stations “dropped the National” from Nine News on 20/10/2008?

Either way, it’s fair to say that the On-Air Presentation standards at Nine News Perth have come a very long way in the past decade. Those graphics and that virtual set would’ve looked horrible even for 2008 standards, I think.

7 Likes

Totally - me neither! Those “blinds” supers were incredibly annoying and it always irked me how they never had much blue in their presentation as opposed to their previous graphics packages. It always seemed so mediocre.

3 Likes

11 Likes

That Gold Nine Perth PRG brings back memories, was the same PRG from the mid 90s right up to 2002 when it finally got updated to Still The One white PRG that was part of the 2001 package.

5 Likes

Between 1972 and 1976, just prior to the ban on tobacco advertising on TV and radio, all tobacco ads had to be followed by a warning like this - “Medical authorities warn that smoking is a health hazard”.

I’ve heard the audio version of this (this youtube vid has a couple of examples), but can’t seem to find anything which ran on TV. According to the legislation, it seems that the message had to be shown at the end of each commercial on a completely black background in large white text while the audio statement ran. Anyone got anything related to this?

I don’t know how accurate this is, but I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that when 9 Perth went digital initially, they bought the absolute best equipment, but never upgraded it at all until it all got moved over East when WIN bought them out.

The problem was that technology was improving rapidly at that time, and they got caught out with older gear they didn’t have the budget to upgrade.

While it makes sense with what viewer’s saw at the time, take this with a huge pinch of salt.

2 Likes

National Nine News Perth graphics and package is different from Nine Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney as STW9 was previously owned by Sunraysia Television in 1989. In 2003, National Nine News perth was absolutely different with their openers. Dixie Marshall and Sonia Vinci used to work at Nine Perth but they have departed the tv station a long time ago

Bruce Gordon got his hands on the Perth and Adelaide stations in 2007 but failed to takeover the entire Nine Network on the East Coast.

Thank goodness NWS and STW are now owned and operated stations by Nine Entertainment Co.

What would a Bruce Gordon-owned Nine Network looked like. Getting NWS and STW was the start of Bruce’s long term plans before selling them in 2013.

2 Likes

National Nine News Perth Newsbreak with Peter Holland from 2000(?):

2 Likes

No longer National Mutual, but still using the signature tune.

1 Like

The exact name escapes me right now, but a piece of production music was used for the National Mutual/AXA Sponsored National Nine Newsbreaks. When ANZ became the National Nine Newsbreak sponsor in 2001 (I think), a new piece of music was used for those bumpers.

Extended National Mutual music. Courtesy of uploader J&C.

5 Likes

All this Peter Holland is reminding me of this clip (that is still just as relevant in 2018).

4 Likes

The last time Nine News Perth won a ratings year was back in 1990. I cannot remember the last time Nine News Perth won a ratings week but it was more than 2 decades ago where Seven News Perth dominated in the ratings war thanks to the two - Rick Ardon and Susannah Carr.
Channel 9 News Perth has struggled a lot in its 6pm timeslot since 2000 where it has been beaten by Seven News by more than 100k viewers. Nine News Perth finished 2nd during the early 2000s. This is being reflected in some staff changes that have happened at Channel 9 Perth since 2000.
The last time Channel 9 News Perth won a night over Seven in ratings period was back in 2012. This was thanks to the coverage of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London

4 Likes

Nine Perth Content from November 1st, 2008:

Lineups:

Promo Montage:

2 Likes

WIN trying to block the dots on 9 Perth/Adelaide was certainly one of their low points. It was particularly bad on 9HD - where they absolutely mangled the logo to try and cover it up. I dunno if I have a cap lying around but hopefully someone else does of some of those atrocities.

5 Likes

The dotless Nine in Wide World of Sports Logo was another bottom point in NWS9 Adelaide and STW9 Perth.

3 Likes

This?
stw

Image credit @ADstv

11 Likes

Yep, that’s the one. I think it’s possibly the worst bit of TV presentation I’ve seen on Australian TV.

8 Likes

An interesting story about the “Melbourne Bump” in ratings.

1 Like