General TV History

Some familiar faces in the Rove promo

8 Likes

Love the graphics of that era. So cool.

5 Likes

Was a great era, my fav.

I think 2009 was Ten’s best year ratings wise (share %) too?

I remember Seven, Nine & Ten all being within a few % come the end of that year (the latter two closeer).

Ten obviously helped by the new MasterChef phenomenon.

Also the first year of The (7pm) Project, both shows celebrate a decade next year & one of only two times Carrie Bickmore was involved in another show at the same time - SYTYCD re-boot a few years ago the other

1 Like

In this video, I too have that “Medium / L&O Fridays” promo from start of 2009, on one of my tapes.

A few of my tapes were during that period, when Kathryn Robinson was filling-in for Sandra Sully (as Deborah Knight had just left for maternity leave, after farwelling Ron Wilson to Early News).

Natarsha Belling was also on maternity leave that entire duration from late 2008, until she returned to Morning News mid-2009 (I have also have a tape).

And something that has always freaked me out and makes me rather upset, is I have a tape of Weekend News from 07/02/2009 (I didn’t even realise, probably had it timer set, until the events were realised)…

It was Black Saturday :cry: (Kath Robinson filling-in for Tarsh - as she was announced new weekend presenter when she returns, after Bill Woods went to Sydney 5pm news).

Unfortunately Ten’s limited resources, 30min bulletin, national and much news breaking, didn’t have a whole lot. Other than "Melbourne’s record breaking heat - near 47 degrees) and crosses via phone to Rakhal Ebeli.

Mal Walden had a special Melbourne bulletin on Sunday the night after, which I also (miraculously at the time) have a tape of. That video is also on YouTube by someone else however.

What historic days to have recorded!

I will endeavour to purchase the equipment, create a YouTube account and upload them progressively.

How I miss these Ten days.

2 Likes

Indeed, I’m surprised how little that look has aged.

[it would be better with brackets]

4 Likes

Channel 0 Melbourne logo from 1973 taken from the first episode of “The Box”, courtesy of Youtube “Classic Australian TV”.

3 Likes

Ten Late News July 2013 & Ten Eyewitness Late December 2013. Caps in no particular order. - I’ll have the full bulletins up tomorrow.

13 Likes
10 Likes

I’m sure that logo appeared on some episodes of Prisoner - so seemingly ATV10 used it for a while.

1 Like

Yep, would have been used across the network though most “network” shows came from only Sydney or Melbourne. Fat Cat from SAS10 in Adelaide would have used it too.

1 Like

A couple of Ten program enders from the early eighties.
The first one i believe was Melbourne exclusive.

52_AMNetwork_Ten_1980-83

4 Likes

This is some sort of Italian program produced by Channel 0 in Melbourne in 1968. This was obviously transferred from the master tape, and uploaded by the sponsor himself to Youtube.

2 Likes

Great memories. Same thing happened at my school too (as I’m sure was the case with quite a lot out there at the time). :wink:

I’d have to look, but I think all I’ve got is an update or two in my collection too unfortunately. Such a shame that it doesn’t seem like anyone has a full recording of it.

Yep, BtN was a staple of our primary school on a tiny TV screen. I remember the outrage when ABC axed it and how Ten was the saviour with their version.

Interestingly, talking about TV sizes, I watched Room for Improvement on 7Two yesterday, they were raving about this whopping great big TV with full high definition at 84cm (about 32 inches) and I think it looked like it was still CRT or similar and the DVD player with surround sound speakers. Amazing how that is so old and outdated and it doesn’t feel like that long ago!

I saw the mentioning of Scope earlier in the thread too, I was racking my brain trying to remember the science shows prior to that. I remembered Y? on Nine/WIN but I can’t remember if there was a kids science show before that one started in the earlier 90’s. I was probably still watching A*Mazing instead.

3 Likes

Curiosity Show, made by NWS

A rare station promo shown on ATV0 back in 1976, i believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTiDP5HBBZQ

Does anyone have a copy of The Great Chase which aired on Channel 9 in the year 2000? It was basically an Australian version of The Amazing Race based entirely on cryptic clues rather than physical challenges.

Someone has uploaded the opening credits to YouTube but nothing else is available, anywhere.

1 Like

SBS is now a poor shadow of its former self. Good luck finding any multicultural content on the channel after about 3pm.

1 Like

How good is this! Stumbeled across this on twitter, not sure if it;s been posted before.

8 Likes