General TV History

Thought i’d post these here which I found on YouTube
Probably some of the highest definition and widescreen lineups from the 2002-04 period that I could find!
The sound is spot on as well.

4 Likes

Those clips were from none other than Media Spy’s @tvcl who has plenty of other gems from VHS & Digital TV on his channel.

From what I remember reading on the old forums, he was one of the first people to get the very first digital TV tuner card made specifically for the Australian market (released by a Canberra-based company called DigitalNow, for those interested) back in 2003 - that’s probably how these digital TV recordings in such high quality still exist to this day! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the credit, SydneyCityTV. That’s prompted me to continue digging through my archives a bit more. Didn’t see much from SBS from around 2001 on YouTube, so here are a few. Not digital captures, unfortunately.

SBS Friday Night Movie Opener:

SBS World News News Tonight Update:

SBS World News Tonight Opener:

Some IDs…

SBS James - Protective:

SBS Sriya - Active:

Another version of SBS James with creepy music:

And a promo from Nine about the Ray Martin Show:

7 Likes

Big fan of the the SBS News theme of that era and the graphics package wasn’t bad (same can’t be said about the one after).

2 Likes

This should be worth a look.

Although I imagine they might casually overlook his brief stint as director of news and current affairs at Ten in the 1970s which wasn’t overly fruitful, or his attempt to revamp his Willesee program on Seven in 1981 to have a focus on comedy. The show was axed at the end of that year. :wink:

5 Likes

Agreed… all that dark pink and blue and that god awful virtual set!

1 Like

2002-2003*

2004 didn’t have the characters interacting with the balls and gigantic days. Instead they had a character dancing or something and then the camera zoomed out from the floor to reveal Nine and Still the One.

2002-2006 was the best era of Nine pres imo

2 Likes

I think they were still using the “This is Channel Nine’s [Day]” Idents in Early 2004 (along with the standard “camera zooming through and out the logo” Idents), although they were probably phased out of regular use by the time of the Late 2004 refresh.

Here’s another one from @zampakid which was (probably) from around the same period of time as the Blue/Monday one from tvcl:

3 Likes

I think most of MediaSpy would agree with this, arguably still the best presentation package of any of our commercial networks. It still looks fresh and hasn’t dated at all 15 years on, unlike several of the packages that Nine used after (especially anything with the dotless nine).

11 Likes

May be of interest to TV histroy buffs

1 Like

This was the 2004 version I was talking about with the camera panning up from the floor. I believe this was used throughout early 2004 instead of the bouncing balls with the day.

This one says 2006, but it’s 2004.

2 Likes

I still maintain the original launch day dotless 9 package was great, then Nine ruined it with tweaks.

Indeed, given it’s something I maintain, I’ll just quote for complete correctness the last post I made saying this exact thing:

4 Likes

In 1980: “This could ruin a man’s chance of becoming president”

How times have changed. :thinking:

4 Likes

Yeah, now he’d Tweet about it

1 Like

I loved the 2006 relaunch as well!

I watched that show, but I don’t remember it being as dorky as the opening titles suggest… :thinking:

1 Like

Does anyone have any content from Nine’s morning/Afternoon News from the 18th February 2014?

I doubt they covered the birth of @LukeMovieMan, if that’s what you’re after.

12 Likes

images-71

3 Likes

You literally could’ve attempted any comeback possible and you picked that?

5 Likes