TV Commercials

Must have been a slow news day. Perhaps zee with replace zed in time but it will still be said with an Australian accent.

1 Like

Clearly in denial if you haven’t already noticed this. I’ve been listening to some of the younger announcers on radio recently and cringe every time some of them say noo for new instead of niew. Or stoodio for studio instead of stiewdio.

It’s a bit of a stretch to blame that on Netflix. We’ve had saturation of American content in media and pop culture for decades.

If radio announcers are doing it it’s probably some stupid edict from programming consultants or management types because they think it’s “cool” :roll_eyes:

See: KIIS

1 Like

I think that’s exactly where I last heard it. And the same presenter was interviewing Conrad Sewell and trying to drop all this overabundance of American street slang into the conversation and I could just feel Conrad feeling awkward and cringing in his seat.

Indeed. Some of us of a certain age would remember the zee/zed concern being expressed during the early days of Sesame Street hitting Australian screens. I remember my kindergarten teacher getting annoyed with children in the class who said “zee” when we were reciting the alphabet.

My eldest niece, now in her early 20s, used to watch a lot of those bratty Disney Channel sitcoms when she was growing up and I’d often cringe when I detected American inflections creeping into her speech. Thankfully she grew out of it.

I remember the bastardised version a lot better: “My Dad picks his nose, that goes to Snotties, to make the meat pies, that I like best”.

2 Likes

I absolutely hate that new McDonalds ad. That Meaf Loaf song always makes me cry!

Fact: It was made in 2016 as a online short to promote the Create Your Taste thing, now it just made it to TV, except as a generic branding(?) ad.

If my memory serves me correctly, the song was also used in a “Father & Daughter” commercial (possibly airing around Fathers Day) a few years back where the theme was that dads would do anything for love except swipe a fry from their daughter’s Happy Meal…something among those lines.

1 Like

Did anyone see the latest Westpac ad featuring a boy and his separated parents? I just feel it’s unusual.

1 Like

Appears to be the exact same ad, but they altered the ending (and a generic endtag).

Left is 2016, right is 2019.

I saw this air just a few minutes ago. I’m not sure if anyone else has the same opinion as me, but does anyone else think that the “Billusionist” in this iSelect ad looks similar to Richard Wilkins? He looks like he could be Dickie’s son. :joy: Maybe it’s just the hair? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Why does this remind me of the Wallet Wizard commercials?

“Regular or Chicken Salt?” “Both.” 80s synth music plays

Man isn’t that ad terrible?

Cracked pepper?

2 Likes

Does anyone remember those Club Lime ads from Canberra? That CGI Jamaican guy (is he a stereotype?) was excellently done.

I’ve looked up archives of Australian government commercials that have been dated back to 2000.

Australian Tax system (2000)

Skin cancer ad (2007)

In 2000, the commercials says Authorised by the Commonwealth Government Canberra. While in 2007, the end bar says Authroised by the Australian government, Canberra. I was wondering why they dropped the Commonwealth Government Canberra and replaced with Australian Government in 2003?

2 Likes

Here’s what may be one of the worst-edited national sale ads in Australia and perhaps the world. There are flaws here and there, like an audible audio cut after “ENDS MONDAY!”, the newer Doors Plus logo being featured in the endtag and a clear “Fit Stain Deliver” sign at one point hinting a sloppy editing job!

By that time there were elements of that ad still in use from 1994 or earlier. It was only in the last few years that they actually replaced it with something new IIRC.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this post is going to make me sound more like Aaron or @mubd but on the subject of TV commercials (well, probably more a Community Service Announcement in this case but still) which have been airing for many years, how about the one that’s currently airing again for the Pedestrian Council of Australia’s annual “Walk Safely To School Day” which will be held next Friday?

Video of this year’s version and for comparison purposes so you can see how it has (not really) changed over the years, the 2012 version!

Additional research via old versions of walk.com.au on archive.org find a MOV (which appears to be a VHS transfer and has fairly rough quality by today’s standards, but back then would’ve been “high quality” broadband stuff) of what appears to be the original TVC or CSA from 2001 when Walk Safely To School Day was first trialled as an event in NSW (it was rolled out as a national event a few years later):

Of course there have been some minor edits to the TVC/CSA over the years. Namely different voiceovers each year, the “Active Kids Are Healthy/Smarter Kids” line at the end, zooming in the footage for widescreen, superimposing the date and more recently, plugs to find them on social media. But aside from that, essentially the same spot has been used for almost two decades now!

2 Likes

My memory is that it was around then that John Howard had the government change from using Commonwealth to Australia, and standardized department logos to use the Coat of Arms.

4 Likes