TV Commercials

And the number of people who write ass instead of arse on this forum alone not to mention how everybody says butt instead of bum now. There’s about a thousand ones just like that.

I recently had a big family get together and a lot of my relatives have kids who are teenagers and younger. So many of them have that American twang I’m talking about. It seriously is like a generational difference in accents between them and their parents.

4 Likes

The broad Australian accent, such as that associated with Steve Irwin, is definitely fading. I miss the strine I used to hear amongst the old timers that were around when I was a kid.

I heard a Nine News reporter refer to an underground station as a subway during the flood coverage in Sydney this week. I nearly put my foot through the TV.

3 Likes

To bring it back to the thread title - have people noticed it also in others ads too? I’ve certainly noticed all the car ads changing - a lot more trucks being advertised rather than utes as we’ve all known for decades.

1 Like

Definitely agree with this, I have an early primary school age nephew that has the weird american twang to a lot of his speech… albeit I would say YouTube is probably the primary influence rather than subtle americanisation of FTA.

It’s still not as bad as it is in South East Asia where kids from the likes of Indonesia / Singapore / Malaysia all speak English with an american accent, but there’s definitely noticeable changes here as well.

2 Likes

dont forget philipines as well they speak english with an american accent as well

2 Likes

There’s historical context behind that though (it was a colony of the US), where with the other countries it is almost solely the influence of american media.

3 Likes

I don’t mind American voices on ads (redubbing is, indeed, a waste of time if it’s just going to be an identical script), but THIS really shits me.

And the whole advertising utes as ‘trucks’, too. Yuck. And everyone seems to refer to four wheel drives as SUVs now (which I distinctly remember was being decried as an Americanism back in the early 2000s).

4 Likes

Also “new” now becoming “noo” rather than “niew”.

3 Likes

Yeah, that one bugs me too but I’ve listened to the motor talkback guys (Will Hagen and his son) at times on the ABC Nightlife where they’ve said they hate the name too but many of the vehicles now in this category aren’t 4WD’s but they don’t have another name for them so they’ve had to resort to calling them the SUV’s too as much as they hate it but apparently they weren’t technically 4WD’s either. I prefer the Urban Assault Vehicle name.

2 Likes

This one REALLY irritates me.

1 Like

I’ve always thought that what many people describe as a ‘Melbourne’ accent as having a slightly greater American influence compared to everywhere else.

Just clicked that the Domain tvc during the cricket is the same house as the MLC tvc.

1 Like

I hate the current NRMA ad. I hope other states were spared that shit.

1 Like

This NRMA ad from the Early 2000s is a lot better than the current ones. I remember this one growing up.

3 Likes

That was a great ad, although the NRMA made very effective use of the INXS song during their advertising back in the Early-Mid 2000s generally.

In contrast, who could ever forget the “It’s alright” campaign from about…maybe 2013-14 or thereabouts? Some absolutely horrendous signing in that one! :confused:

3 Likes

Is that the one with ‘Throw My Arms Around Me’ by Hunters and Collectors which is on YouTube? If so, we were thankfully spared of that down here in Victoria.
Who the hell thought, with the meaning of that song that it would for suitable for an insurance commercial?

2 Likes

Nope, I think you’re referring to this cover by Nyla which is based on a Like A Version performance…

I’m trying to find a commercial for some medicine product that aired a lot during 2013-2014. I recall the ad having female people dancing with a X-ray filter and the endtag showing them without X-ray. The logo kinda resembled Scholl’s one.

I saw a similar ad of theirs in 2017 which made me remember it, but now I’ve forgotten it.

This one?

1 Like

I published this commercial a few days ago and it brought to my attention that this period was the beginning of the end for Holden’s sales success.

After GM purchased Daewoo in Korea, Holden imported several models of the company between 2005-2007. These included the Viva, (Sep 05), Barina, (Dec 05), Captiva, (Oct 06), and Epica, (May 07). Whilst the Epica didn’t sell very well, the others did.

The poor dependently, safety, reliability and overall quality of the cars were panned. No wonder Holden isn’t doing well, the trust they had built has all but dissipated.

3 Likes