TV Commercials

Looking forward to this.

It’s interesting how they managed to show some parts of TVCs for cigarettes.

More from ABC:

1 Like

Maybe they have to blur out the brands.

1 Like

like they did on rage when they played a New Kids on the Block video where one of the members wore a T-shirt of a well known footwear brand’s logo.

1 Like

There is an exemption for an ‘incidental accompaniment’.

2 Likes

Uh definitely no blurring!

1 Like

40 cents?! Same packet today is almost $30. :frowning:

1 Like

That was 1972 (with a few less taxes)

1 Like

There’s enough of a prior precedent from previous ACMA / ABA complaints that resolved in favour of the networks when classic cigarette ads were broadcast.

It’s come up a bunch of times in the last 20 years. I have no doubt someone will still complain anyway.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Seeing as the British TV thread is locked (why?), I’ll share this here as it’s related to advertising.

ITV showed a different kind of commercial break last night during BGT - a silent ad-break with the intention of getting people talking to each other/mental health awareness. Although an interesting idea, I think people were generally more likely to be talking to each other about what they were seeing on their TV screens than anything else!

2 Likes

I go to the thread and there is no lock, so you should be able to post there.

2 Likes

Sorted. Don’t know why I thought it was locked - I think I was confusing the symbols/icons!

Just saw an ad for MAIT Industries. Hilariously, it was animated in 2000s-like Flash/Adobe Animate despite being a recent ad.

I have a clear memory of local ads that used to play in Canberra back in 2015, specially on GEM.
Electrodry, The Plumbing & Electrical Doctor (“Call the doctor, Mum!”), John McGrath (one of the ads I remember started with a globe, and it had the “think cars” slogan at the end (might’ve been a prototype), but can’t find it), Canberra Fleet and Wholesale Centre, the old Canberra Sand And Gravel ad, and many others.

Meanwhile, there are some ads I can’t remember what they were for, for example one with a woman walking in a repetitively-changing background over a female-sung jingle with a female singer until she ends up in a garden.

A Franco Cozzo commercial just aired on Nine Melbourne. Haven’t seen it air for a year or two at least.

1 Like

Must be a new shipment, after a long dry spell:

5 Likes

is there a Grand Sale in footescray?

4 Likes

I walked past there maybe two months ago and there was that much (furniture) stock you’d bloody hope a grand sale would help get rid of the impending OH&S disaster

4 Likes