Triple M Network

Driving out to Olympic Park this morning, I was listening to 2MMM Sydney on DAB, but it had Brisbane traffic and news, followed by Dobbo. Something happen?

3 Likes

Not the greatest scheduling software nor processes to pick this up.

Traffic staff are over stretched and undervalued.

From Radioinfo:

On Monday, July 1, in support of Beyond Blue, Triple M is not talking so that others can.

From 6am – 6pm there will be no radio shows, no ads, no news or traffic reports on Triple M Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane, instead, the stations are using the space where they’d normally talk, to encourage men and women to talk to their mates, family or a colleague about mental health and work on reducing men’s suicide.

Read more at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/triple-m’s-no-talk-day-support-beyond-blue

To get advice on how to start a conversation with someone you’re worried about or for more information on depression and anxiety please visit: www.beyondblue.org.au

8 Likes

A good initiative.

4 Likes

And Gary Roberts should be on the ball to pinch the idea for the male skewed 96fm.

1 Like

Shame it is not happening in Perth.

1 Like

Great to see Triple M doing this. We’ve come a long way in the past decade in how we approach this issue.

But this also has me wondering if they are going to broadcast dead air (carrier signal) or go completely off the air?

2 Likes

how much sound do you need to make to stop an automated failure to tape?

are they still playing music?

Triple M Brisbane have confirmed from comments on their FB page that it will be wall to wall music for the 12 hours.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I had a feeling that it would just be non stop music but I guess the question had to be asked as to how they were going to go about doing this.

1 Like

2DayFM did the same but with announcers & longer after the Royal Nurse saga.

Bittersweet of course - but it was refreshing.

3 Likes

Would it be cynical to point out that next week is the start of holidays for a few of Triple Ms programs as well

6 Likes

I thought the same thing but also they aren’t playing ads so therefore are forgoing advertising revenue too.

So what happens if there is a major breaking news story on Monday or a significant traffic incident?

Tune to hit I guess to find out more

1 Like

What happens if people actually prefer wall to wall music over all the talk…

5 Likes

As the word “youse” is not in my vocabulary I rarely listen to 2MMM.

But I will definitely tune in if they are going to go back to the 90s and play music like a rock station again.

For one day only…Sydney’s Rock Radio Leader is back!

3 Likes

Settle down :rofl: They’ve promised non-stop music, not non-repetition.

Imagine a No Repeat Workday commercial & announcer free.

4 Likes

Sorry thesub1 - I was getting overexcited. I am old enough to remember when 104.9 was an FM music station.

Ahhhh, the good old days. MTV played music video clips, Triple M played music, 2UE had its own news service, 702 was called 702, smooth had live announcers on the weekend, drive shows were local, 2DayFM was to go-to station and Mark Latham was sane.

1. What a year.
5 Likes

From Triple M e-mail:

This Monday July 1 at Triple M we’re going to do something a little bit different.

We’re not going to talk.

We’re in the middle of an epidemic, 65 000 Australians will attempt suicide this year.

6 men a day take their own lives.

Men in Australia don’t talk.

This Monday July 1 on Triple M, in the spaces where we would normally talk, we’re encouraging you to start a conversation with someone. A brother, a mate, a father, a son. Anyone.

No Talking. No Ads. No Shows. No Traffic. No News.

We’re not talking so you can.

If you need to talk to someone, please call Beyond Blue on 1300 22 46 36 or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Mike Fitzpatrick
Head of Triple M Network

2 Likes