Triple M Network

After Hot Breakfast they no longer have the banter with Digby at 9am. It was awkward anyway and they never had the same chemistry that Mick Molloy and Dangerous Dave had. Probably why Dangerous Dave moved with Mick to KM now I think about it.

1 Like

Not sure which thread to throw this in, but a couple of screen captures of In-Program Advertising (obviously only seen in Sydney) for Triple M’s The Grill Team on Channel Nine during “Talkin Bout Your Generation” last Monday:

3 Likes

Everything Sydney? Dobbo and Fitz must be clutching at more straws than usual.

Flogging years old regional positioners. Least regional Rhys would be happy some of his legacy is still used.

MMM market themselves as being for males, now they’re everything Sydney.

Sydney is a city in name only. The diversity makes it one of the most niche places around. You can’t be all things to all people unless you’re chasing a somewhat underclass of geriatrics enjoying the drum beating on 2GB.

So here we go again, the identity of 2MMM is blurred again, Muir, Denton, Mulray and many of the quality staff prior to this lot must be roaring with laughter or shaking their heads.

Who attends the SCA AGMs and asks questions? It’s well overdue.

2 Likes

It’s similar in Melbourne but with a Hot Breakfast early bird quiz clue displayed on screen during TAYG.

Eddie McGuire was on the Qantas flight that hit turbulence. His Triple M co-hosts are apparently referring to it as an asassination attempt. I guess you had to be there in the studio to find that funny.

2 Likes

I saw the interview… He played it down… He said it wasn’t that bad, it just sort of pitched to the right.

3MMM bfast not doing well this year? Guess it’s thought to try grabbing headlines to try and pull audiences in to sample.

FM Breakfast ratings in Melbourne as of last survey were #1 Fox, #2 Gold, #3 Triple M/Smooth (tied). Triple M were actually up but then again so was Gold (this was pre-Christian O’Connell).

It will be interesting to see how this pans out next survey with Christian O’Connell now on Gold. I sampled Christian during his first couple of weeks on Gold, good show but I’m back to flicking between Triple M and 3AW mainly at breakfast time. Christian O’Connell is just not “Everything Melbourne”, so that is where Hot Breakfast may have the edge.

Typical keyboard warriors not understanding how to take a joke

3 Likes

On Triple M Big Breakfast show Brisbane this morning Robin Bailey was talking about the day her late husband committed suicide 4 years ago and she was really upset,sounded like she was crying,I felt sad myself listening to her speak of this terrible event in her life. They were discussing men’s health and about how too many young men commit suicide instead of seeking help,ie :Lifeline

1 Like

Eddie spoke about it in the first hour in a serious manner, the “assassination” talk was seperate

Noticing a distinct change to Triple M Modern Digital this morning, as it hits 1 year on the air.

More ‘classic’ music, in particular, from the 1980s. The Cure, Painters and Dockers, Simple Minds, New Order, The Church, Ramones, The Waterboys, and some lesser known tracks from the 90s by Oasis, Dave Matthews Band, Johnny Cash.

New music is still very much present but probably about 40% of the playlist instead of 60%

I’m all for variety as the station has been a bit repetitive of late. But the word ‘modern’ in the station title is starting to lose all meaning, and at times it felt like I was listening to regular Triple M.

1 Like

It’s not modern then is it? How can it be? Modern is last decade or for rock music in Australia, music published since the demise of pub rock and leading Aus rock bands in the early-mid 90’s.

3 Likes

Exactly. I’m not sure how I feel about it. It was fine this morning but I don’t think I’ll like it after a few days.

I’m mad a Triple M for adding 1980’s Music to the Modern Playlist, 80’s and Early 90’s does’nt sound Modern to me, I’d like Modern the way it’s always been 60% for New Music plus 40% of 90’s and 2000’s in there.

“Modern Rock” is somewhat non existent these days. There isn’t the amount of good new music coming out these days compared to the 80s or even the 90s, particularly with Australian artists.

2 Likes

I’ve written to them on Facebook to reconsider and perhaps you could too. Hopefully for a more focused digital station they might value the input of their few listeners.

Depends how narrowly you define Rock. There’d be plenty for Triple M to use if they didn’t try to make it a station of the limited amount of modern rock they’d actually play on the main Triple M.

and that I think is why it wasn’t branded as such in this incarnation - from my listening, it was playing a fair amount of alternative music that wouldn’t be out of place on triple j, but suffered from a super tight playlist.

1 Like

I wonder if SCA are planning to launch an alternative music format station under the HIT brand instead of Triple M. That could be their logic.