Triple M Network

I just heard Adam Spencer advertising his ‘Big Questions’ podcast on Triple M GHD.

Great to hear and indeed, I’m going to tune in as a result of hearing the ad.

See. Triple M listeners aren’t all bogans as some here like to portray us.

5 Likes

Not all , however…

2 Likes

Though the way some of their DJs talk you’d think they were targeting bogans.

2 Likes

Aren’t they…?

1 Like

I think ANYONE will do :grin:

1 Like

Realistically, I’m sure there are people who listen to Triple M who aren’t bogans just as I’m sure that there are people who listen to Triple J who aren’t hipsters.

But I do think it’s fairly easy to figure out who the target demographic of Triple M is judging by a lot of their programing & marketing decisions!

4 Likes

Yep. MEN.

I have copious amounts of paperwork here with Triple M profiles and marketing etc and nowhere, just absolutely nowhere, does it say Triple M targets “bogans.”

It’s just a made-up load of crap from people on here who live in their mothers’ basement and have no clue what the big yellow ball in the sky is, but they know the exact placement on a screen of a watermark and if it’s moved 0.000003mm and then will breathlessly tell everyone on here with 265 pages of “analysis” to go with it.

9 Likes

Sounds like someone hit a nerve. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Is it a secret target though? Now former Triple M host Merrick Watts admitted back in April that he hides the fact that he is a bogan, but conceded everyone already knew he was.

We should define what we mean by “bogan” and then see if this fits the profile of the average Triple M listener.

To me a bogan is the part of the male demographic who:

• pronounces “you” as “yooz”
  • thinks that Tooheys New is a craft beer
  • will wear thongs into the city
  • can understand Pauline Hanson
  • thinks that the stubby holder is the greatest breakthrough in technology for 30 years
  • picked up their mattress by the side of the road
  • uses an Esky as a seat in the loungeroom
  • thinks that Kath and Kim are upperclass
  • uses the “c” word like it’s punctuation (or as the generic term for “mate”)

Does anyone have anything extra to add? Is this the average Triple M listeners in Sydney?

2 Likes

Very sexist. There are many females that are exactly like this. Also very stereotypical.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting that I stereotyped a stereotype?

How else is he going to troll you?

2 Likes

everything hits a nerve with Mark these days

5 Likes

Why would official marketing and research documents specify ‘bogans’? You’d be cutting off the large ‘pseudo-bogan’ population that have bogan tendencies but aren’t full bogan, surely.

I think the fact that MMM could be heard on nearly every work site across Melbourne or Sydney, but not in every male-dominated office building - and that MMM would know exactly that - kinda proves the point.

Nothing wrong with being or targeting a bogan. I’m not sure why some on here are so precious about the ‘bogan’ label.

I’ll happily own my ‘inner-city, latte-swilling hippie’ label (even though it’s not completely true). Bogans should own their boganity (boganness…?)

Triple M sure seem to own their boganness.

4 Likes

amc_556 - your first paragraph made me choke on the buckwheat pancake that I am currently enjoying in a Surry Hills cafe. It was your reference to “pseudo-bogans” that had me!

5 Likes

You’re saying that bogans listen to Triple M. That’s stereotypical.

1 Like

Does Triple M target men in general or certain type of male?

There was an item on News Radio a short while ago about contenders for the 2017 Word Of The Year.

I think we’ve uncovered an early contender for the 2018 Word Of The Year here…

Pseudo Bogan

Love it!

4 Likes

Certainly the best Triple M commentary combination on at the moment: Isha, Skull & Molloy.

1 Like